FrSky RX antenna connectors

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

FrSky RX antenna connectors

Postby jomarx » Tue May 04, 2010 9:38 am

Hi,

Just want to share my recent confirmation regarding the weak antenna connectors of the FrSky RX module. My PbF foamie recently had a bad landing (e.g. major crash :lol: ), in which a part of the foam got torn off, and UNFORTUNATELY one of the antenna's of the 8ch RX is taped to it...

I tried to fix it, using some hot glue fix the wire to the plastic casing (AND trying my best keep the wires inserted to the U.FL(?))....

Do you guys think it will affect my range in some way? Should I replace the wire entirely??

Thanks
jomarx

Re: FrSky RX antenna connectors

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 8:36 pm

Yes, I noticed the potential failure of the single-wire antenna with the 2.5g receiver and see that now FrSky are shipping them with a blob of hotglue.

Simply resoldering the wire (so long as it's done neatly) should be a perfectly good repair.

If you don't have the original wire then a piece of similar wire cut to the same length will do just fine.

Although they claim only (from memory) 500m for these receivers, I've flown my DLG to the limits of visibility (probably twice that distance) and it's been rock-solid so there's plenty of headroom.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks for the info. But I'm using the 8Ch RX. The wires are not soldered in the first place, I think its a U.FL connector?? The wire was torn off from the connector...
jomarx

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 05, 2010 12:05 am

Ah, I've never encountered that!

Most receivers have their antenna leads connected via a UFL these days. Looking at the various case designs, it would appear that most of the units I've tested are vulnerable to having strain put on the UFL connector if you have a bad smash and your antenna wires are anchored to the airframe using tape or similar.

Perhaps the best way to mount your receiver antennas might be to tape a drinking straw in place and then slide the antenna wires up into that. Then, if there was a crash, the wires could pull free without placing strain on the receiver case or UFL connector.

By the way... what is a "crash". I don't think I'm familiar with those. I end up retiring my models simply because they get worn out (yeah, right!) :mrgreen:
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Wed May 05, 2010 4:35 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Perhaps the best way to mount your receiver antennas might be to tape a drinking straw in place and then slide the antenna wires up into that. Then, if there was a crash, the wires could pull free without placing strain on the receiver case or UFL connector.

Hmmm, never thought of that! I'll that do :D :D

RCModelReviews wrote:By the way... what is a "crash". I don't think I'm familiar with those. I end up retiring my models simply because they get worn out (yeah, right!) :mrgreen:

:lol:

Since I'm a n00b in this hobby (Started only Feb this year), 'crashing' is very common with me. :D

Anyways, BTT.

Since that UFL connector got disconnected, and I've not 100% sure the connection is good with the 'fix' that I'ved made, do you think it would affect my range? I know FrSky uses antenna diversity, but I just want to be sure.
jomarx

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed May 05, 2010 4:45 am

So long as it fits back on firmly (it can swivel but shouldn't be too loose) then it should be alright.

The FrSky system has a lot of range in reserve and there are plenty of other systems (like the Hitec Optima 7) that work just fine with a single antenna anyway.

Just do the normal range tests before you fly and make sure you've got your failsafe set just in case.
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Wed May 05, 2010 4:54 am

Whew, that takes a load of my back. thanks a lot!
jomarx

Return to Radios and Servos