RCModelReviews and Spektrum/Horizon

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

RCModelReviews and Spektrum/Horizon

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:08 pm

This is the forum for comments on this article on the RCModelReviews website.

Your thoughts, observations and comments are welcomed.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: RCModelReviews and Spektrum/Horizon

Postby jomarx » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:06 am

Well, the truth hurts. And maybe the 'truth' is hurting the sales already... What I don't like with them (S&H) is that they don't accept criticism, in which they could be viewed in a positive way (hey, its free R&D / testing). Rather than admitting their faults, they keep on denying...
jomarx

Postby flying-things » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:53 am

That was an unbelievable response from spektrum, it is evident that they are betting their continued profits on continued large market share, ie people continuing to update radios, buy receivers, etc. They obviously don't want to reveal that other systems are better and cost far less. However, we can not base the reputation of a company on one foolish individual's response. I'm waiting for the next reply.
flying-things

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:12 am

Yes, I'd love a reply (of any kind) from Horizon -- lord knows I've tried to contact them and establish a dialog often enough.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:22 am

Sounds similar to a letter I sent to an Ebay client that couldnt get his engine running properly. I spelled out all the things that need to go right and he sheepishly admitted he had not installed the proper glow plug.
I hope you get this issue taken care of but as I have seen of Horizon employees(and a lot of customers) they think their product is the best that can ever be had any anything else is simply junk not worth a second glance.
I own a JR radio, it is an S400. it is a decent radio but it lacks end point adjustment of any kind and I tend to not employ it.
I have a very old Hitec Focus4 that has end point adjustment so to me it is much more useful.
It doesnt mean I hate JR radios but to leave off simple end point adjustment on a high dollar product like a JR?
I digress, good luck to you and I await their answer. (insert smiley eating popcorn here)
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 am

Yes, I'm looking forward to evaluating and reviewing the DX8 and will do so with an open mind.

Horizon will be pleased to know that in the upcoming reviews and shootout, I'm only looking at the features of the radios involved, not the RF link because I've already reviewed that aspect of the various brands.

It's interesting to note that I've given Hitec some stick over the years for deficiencies in some of their products but they had the guts to send RCModelReviews product for review. I think they appreciated the fact that although I had said bad things about their products -- it was fair and objective comment and that it didn't mean I had any personal vendetta or grudge against it. And, low and behold, when I tested their AFHSS system it turned out to be very good and that's what I told people.

Likewise, I have found DSM2 to be wanting but if the DX8 is a good radio, I will say so.

It simply remains to be seen whether Horizon have the same faith in their product that Hitec clearly has in theirs.
RCModelReviews

Postby tommy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:51 am

Good work Bruce.
Just don't let Spectrum/Horizon bully you. No need to be too soft . Your letter is very respectful of them even though they are not showing the same respect back.
What I would not like to see is for you to feel like you have to hold back. Your articles are just stating the facts and the results you have found. As long as you keep just
publishing the facts there is no need to take it easy on Spectrum or any other company for that matter. I have not seen one article that you have published that has been biased.
They are just feeling threatened that you are exposing some of their flaws. Keep it up. As soon as you start bending because of unfair pressure from a company, your
site will lose its reputation as being fair and unbiased.

As you say "JUST THE FACTS"
tommy

Postby Rob2160 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:01 pm

Hey Bruce..

Your reviews seem fair and unbiased to me... you are just stating the facts...

Keep it up mate!
Rob2160

Postby johnkim100530 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:32 pm

Horizon/Spektrum is behaving exactly like someone who is evading an answer. They don't like whoever rocks the boat while maintaining comfortable market share.

Before you pointed out some shortcomings of Spektrum such as brown out, I already knew its defects first hand.
Spektrum was the first spread spectrum radio to appear and I bought its initial version as soon as it showed up, DSM1.

My experiment with an electric glider was disaster. It loses control within a couple of seconds after launch. It repeatedly crashed. Since it was my first experience with 2.4G, I speculated various causes. Finally, it was returned to Spektrum and its engineer concluded it was due to defective ESC which generated too much noise. He did not mention the possibility of brown out. Hell, SS radios are supposed to be immune to noise, so I thought.

I replaced the original Spektrum with DX7. I still don't like Spektrum after reading your review. I want to sell it but no one wants it.

Anyone want to buy my DX7? It is almost like new in box. Majority at my field is still using JR/Spektrum.

By the way, I emailed copy of your open letter to Horizon/Spektrum to let them know many are awaiting their answer.
Last edited by johnkim100530 on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnkim100530

Postby Captain351 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 am

I think the reason they aren't replying is that they can't do anything but make things worse. They either have to admit that their product has flaws or lie. I'm not sure which outcome would hurt them more. If they admit that DSM2 is flawed people who might not be inclined to listen to some bald guy from the other side of the world might start paying attention. If they lie many of us will be jumping down their throats about it and making as much noise as possible. They can't win so they are sticking their head in the sand and trying to ride their market share as far as possible. Unless they are supremely stupid there is a DSM3 system on the drawing board. They may reply after that comes out but only if they think Bruce can't find anything wrong with it.

Captain
Captain351

Next

Return to Radios and Servos