FrSky issues recommended "fix" for DIY kit

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

FrSky issues recommended "fix" for DIY kit

Postby tommy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:56 pm

I am using one of these. Do you think I should stop using it until I do the mod.
I have had no problems so far but I do not want to lose an expensive model.
Is there any other problems you have found with frsky. I bought one of these
after reading your reviews and trust the info you provide. There is also
issues I have read about the frsky being jurky with digital servos. Can
you please let me know if you still think frsky is still a good choice and if there
are any other issues you have discovered since your reviews.
Thank you.
tommy

Re: FrSky issues recommended "fix" for DIY kit

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:15 am

What transmitter are you using?

I'll be reporting on the digital servo issue soon.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby tommy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am

I am using a jr xp 662. I have only used it once so far. Like I said I have noticed that the servos are slightly more jerky than when I use 35MHZ.
I like the frsky but not at the risk of losing a model. Any recommendations you can give me will be great.
After reading some more posts I think I will not be using the frsky until there is a confirmed fix, maybe not even then. It is useless if it cannot be trusted.
I think the problem that has been reported is a big mistake. If you make a DIY module how can you overlook the voltages/current the unit will receive when connected
into a transmitter. This has made me lose confidence in Frsky. I changed from 35GHZ to 2.4 GHZ for the added security and resilience. Looks like I may have taken a step
backwards in buying Frsky.
Luckily when I did the mod I installed a switch whereby I could select 35MHZ or 2.4GHZ.
I know a little about electronics but reading through the forums and posts is frustrating.
Different sizes of resistors have been mentioned, some say to use a transistor others say just a diode will do. Then some say that
depending on your transmitter you may not need the fix, etc.............
I just want to have a safe stable system. I don't want to take a course in electronics to understand how to fix this issue.
I have found your site to be easy to understand and given your background I hope you can supply us with the best solution and
weed out all the incorrect information that may have been posted else where.
I await to see your recommended fix. I hope that I haven't wasted money and time in buying frsky.

Thanks again.
Last edited by tommy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tommy

Postby TMKits » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:19 pm

I contacted HiModel and they are happy to send me the "fix". I will get it added to a future order.(my choice)
TMKits

Postby tommy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:42 pm

I bought mine a few months ago from rc-fans88. I will contact them to see if they will send me a fix?
Have frsky paid for the kits. Do we get them for free or do we need to buy them. The kit may be cheep but I
bet I will get done on the postage.
Thanks
tommy

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:54 pm

The kits should be free -- but if anyone wants to DIY I should have the article up by the end of the week and it'll cost you about $0.50 for a diode
RCModelReviews

Postby vh7377 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:37 am

tommy wrote:I am using a jr xp 662.

I routinely measure the ppm voltage with a multimeter v's battery ground / -ve before doing a DIY install. On all my JR 6XXseries Tx's the ppm line voltage is between 0.5 and 1 v. Given the discussion on RCGroups and elsewhere I would suggest you don't have anything to worry about with the FrSky DIY module. I certainly don't have a problem using the FlyDream DIY module.:D
However if you are using a JR/Graupner MC22 or 24 then there may be problem, ppm voltage is approx 8.5V. There may be others out there with ppm voltage >5v. I realise that a multimeter isn't the correct way to check the ppm stream, but it does give you a clue, and helps sort out which line is ppm in a Tx where colour coding is not used to designate anything logical.
Hutton
vh7377

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:02 pm

You can't accurately measure the PPM voltage with a meter -- because it's constantly varying between zero and its peak -- which means the meter will read a figure that's somewhat less than the actual peak.

The only real way to get an idea is to use an oscilloscope.
RCModelReviews

Postby tommy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 pm

That's a shame I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do any mods to the DIY kit. I look forwad to your fix.
I will not be using the frsky until I do the mod. I think its better to be safe than sorry.
As I have already mentioned I still think the problem that has been reported is a big mistake.
If you make a DIY module how can you overlook the voltages/current the unit will receive when connected
into a transmitter. This has made me lose a bit of confidence in Frsky.
tommy

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 am

Corona made the same mistake!
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks