Turnigy 9X V2 out-built module

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: Turnigy 9X V2 out-built module

Postby trogolito » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:49 pm

Hello

I don't know yet, my flying machine is not finished and no tested the radio range, I only know that it works, better or worse time will say, if goes worse, I can change the antenna by a more gain antenna, 5-8dbi will solve, but don't think that the experiment will supose a lose of range.

Bye
trogolito

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:00 am

rdhood wrote:Am I seeing that right... that you mounted the antenna on the 2.4Ghz module itself? Has it affected range?

That's a good solution actually -- so long as you don't want to use the internal antenna.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby SimJen » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:09 pm

I've just mounted my antenna on my module too, still waiting to finish my plane but I doubt it will affect the range.....Bruce?
I only did it as I was sick of the module floating by the wire while I used my TX on my simulator.
it would be nice if the antenna could be routed through the existing pins on the module, so no wires would be needed, then you could keep the antenna mounted to the radio.
Failing that a decent small two pin plug that could be used inside the module cutout so it could be disconnected easily?
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:10 pm

The problem with routing the antenna through a plug is that 2.4GHz is rather fussy about the connectors it flows through. If you don't use a connector which maintains the 50-ohm impedance then much of the transmitter's power would be reflected back into the module and that would mean low range and possible damage to the module's output circuitry. A simple two-pin plug isn't going to do it :-(
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby SimJen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:58 am

I see, i won't be doing that then!
looks like i'll wait till you release the circuit diagrams and use a switch to turn off the supply and ppm to the module.
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Previous

Return to Radios and Servos