Coming: Brand-name radio shootout

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Coming: Brand-name radio shootout

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Over the next 4-6 weeks, I intend to test, review and compare a number of brand-name radios, namely:

Hitec Aurora 9
Futaba 10C and/or T8FG
JR 9503 and/or 11x
Airtronics SD-10G
Spektrum DX8

Since I've already performed an RF analysis of most of these systems, I'll be focusing on:

- ergonomics
- feature-set
- programming ease
- documentation
- support
- extra features (telemetry, field-upgradable, etc)

I would like to do the same thing with these radios as I've done with the 2.4GHz modules, performing individual reviews and then a comparison with a view to suggesting which is the best and which is the best-value, then give them all away by way of the prize-draws.

Of course I can't afford to purchase all those radios so I'm going to be pushing the various vendors to provide a review unit which will enable me to do the review and then effectively serve as a promotion for them by way of the give-away.

So far, Hitec have stepped up to the plate and will be providing a review sample of the A9 -- which is great news.

Now I simply have to convince the other brands to match Hitec's confidence by submitting their own products.

Clearly, Hitec is very confident that their transmitter will withstand the close scrutiny and "no punches pulled" approach to reviewing that is the trademark of RCModelReviews, will the others have as much confidence?

I suspect those who don't have confidence in their product will not be forthcoming -- which may say more about those products than I ever could.

However, I'm sure that Horizon, Futaba and Airtronics will be keen to show just how good their products are and how well they compare to the competition.

I'll keep you informed -- but if you would like to emphasize how useful it might be to them to have their product included there's nothing to stop you dropping them an email to the various other vendors and suggest they do so.

Remember -- the ultimate winner (regardless of the shoutout results) will be YOU -- the RC Modeler. Partly because you'll be able to see how these systems compare and partly because you could win a free radio!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Coming: Brand-name radio shootout

Postby P3tras » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Can't wait :mrgreen:
Esky Esmart (grounded, doesn't have parts), Blade EPP (flying), Old glow trainer airplane (needs some tweaking)
P3tras

Postby jeffie8696 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:28 am

Where is that popcorn eating smiley?
jeffie8696

Postby eclipce » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 am

I would like to see how the hitec is comming out of the test. I just ordered one aurora 9. Simply because it has some people on rc groups has good experiense with it, and hitec send a transmitter to RC Modelreviews. So, to me, It looks like hitec knows it's a good radio. Otherwise the won't sent a radio to RC Modelreviews :P
I'm wondering how long it takes when it is broken. I'm still a 15 year old studend that earns his money with laying tables at a local hotel. So i can't afford to buy a radio every year
eclipce

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:04 pm

So far I'm impressed with the A9 -- the user-interface in particular. If only all radios were as easy to program.

However, I've still got some work to do and I'd like to get some hands-on with the others so as to establish what's "average" and what's "above average" when rating the various features.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:24 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Over the next 4-6 weeks, I intend to test, review and compare a number of brand-name radios, namely:

Hitec Aurora 9
Futaba 10C and/or T8FG
JR 9503 and/or 11x
Airtronics SD-10G
Spektrum DX8

Since I've already performed an RF analysis of most of these systems, !

Where can I find your RF analysis of Airtronics 2.4?
johnkim100530

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:51 am

I haven't done the Airtronics yet because I don't have one and I've not even seen one in New Zealand. When I do get one for the shootout, I'll review the RF side of things separately to the transmitter itself.
RCModelReviews

Postby jab » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:40 am

Looking forward to it. One thing I would like to see is a unbiased comparison of new and older models. The reason I am asking is that I have a hard time justifying the price tag of some of the newer radios compared to earlier models on the used marked. Take for example the Futaba 9C Super that you can get very cheap now. Is there really that much reason to get a T8/10C/12.. instead? How much advanced mixing do we really need? Are we able to make use of a bizzilion servo steps and servo packets that time travel and reach the model before we even touch the sticks? I know you do not have like a shelf with all the radios in the world, but you should be able to find and borrow at least one or two of the more popular older models for comparison.
jab

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Interestingly enough -- that's one of the perspectives I was taking.

I've got a Hitec Eclipse 7 and Optic 6, I can get my hands on a Futaba 9C and a DX7 and I have a JR9XII (9303) so doing a comparison will be quite practical.
RCModelReviews

Postby TomVe » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:07 am

Any news on this?

I am looking to replace my old 35 MHz radio soon and have narrowed it down to the Futaba T8FG or Aurora 9. The T8FG is very compelling because of the cheap FASST compatible receivers and solid link system (low latency, 2048 step resolution), and the Aurora of course has its big touch screen and telemetry. I am really looking forward to your in-depth unbiased review of these systems. 8-) :ugeek:
TomVe

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers