The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Postby jab » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:04 pm

The spec says 4-10v, but in your test the receiver works fine down to 2.7v. To me that would suggest the IC's are driven directly from the power source, using a zener or something simple for regulation. Can you confirm that the receiver actually works safely up to 10v? Using 2S LiPo or LiFe directly on servos and receiver would greatly simplify setup in larger planes.
jab

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 am

It actually looks as if all the receiver power goes through a low-dropout 3-terminal regulator.

My only concern at higher voltages would be the dissipation of this regulator since, if we assume a 3.3V output and a 10V input with a current consumption of 100mA, that's a total of 670mW -- quite a bit of heat.

I'll be doing some heat-soak testing in the next week or so to see how it performs.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:06 am

Back order numbers 2635 as of this date. When are they going to fill all these orders?

I won't get it until next year.

Isn't there another factory working on Futaba clone receiver? Still there is room for more factory to make money.
johnkim100530

Postby hohi » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Can some one tell me off this receiver is compatible with the Futaba TC7 transmitter

hohi
hohi

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:31 pm

The stock receiver is compatible with the 7 and 8 channel modes and I see there is also a FS receiver designed for the faster frame-rates.
RCModelReviews

Postby raptor22 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

so based on your review you recommend this reciever?

Are you doing long term testing?
raptor22

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:58 am

raptor22 wrote:so based on your review you recommend this reciever?

Are you doing long term testing?

The receiver I reviewed was (as stated) a pre-production version. Unless they've done something really bad to stuff it up when making the final (inevitable) tweaks before production then yes, I'd recommend it.

I will be getting some of the production receivers and doing some long-term testing with them, yes.
RCModelReviews

Get to the point, which is the BEST of all? :-)

Postby lucky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 am

Just what is the BEST Futabla 8U FASST compatible 3rd party manufacturer best shown to handle the power bus demands and noisy RF environment of a 40% type setup?
lucky

Re: Get to the point, which is the BEST of all? :-)

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:36 pm

lucky wrote:Just what is the BEST Futabla 8U FASST compatible 3rd party manufacturer best shown to handle the power bus demands and noisy RF environment of a 40% type setup?

If you're flying a 40% bird I'd recommend using a power-bus setup rather than relying on the receiver to handle all the current to the servos -- no matter which receiver you choose.
RCModelReviews

Re: Get to the point, which is the BEST of all? :-)

Postby lucky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:21 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:
lucky wrote:Just what is the BEST Futabla 8U FASST compatible 3rd party manufacturer best shown to handle the power bus demands and noisy RF environment of a 40% type setup?

If you're flying a 40% bird I'd recommend using a power-bus setup rather than relying on the receiver to handle all the current to the servos -- no matter which receiver you choose.

Yeah, I agree, I just wanted you to 'think big' when considering the answer as to which of the systems you've tested is really the top of the line and worth considering for something like that where there's a large demand. Something that has a chance of surviving a noisy electronic ignition sysem for example. Perhaps I can change it to, think fast and ultra reliable so say it's in a fast ducted fan jet... :D

thx
lucky

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers