Extending Spectrum RX's aerials

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Extending Spectrum RX's aerials

Postby minibell » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:42 am

Hello Bruce & All.
Wondering if its possible to extend the two little aerials to be outside the fusalarge on Spectrum RX's for mounting inside a carbinfibre sailplane?
By extending to a special lenght.

I know Spectrum did make a RX for this purpose, but it has been recalled.
And there appears to be no other suitable for carbin gliders.

Thanks.
Regards.
minibell

Re: Extending Spectrum RX's aerials

Postby baner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi minibell, I purchased one of these AR6250 DSM2 6-Channel Carbon Fuse Rx for my helicopter that has a carbon fibre frame. It's supposed to stop RF sheilding I don't really know if it does or not Spektrum believes so i am not an expert but I know a man who is if Bruce would like to test it I could post it to him no problem.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Defa ... =SPMAR6250

baner
baner

Postby baner » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Hi minibell I am sorry but I did not read the rest of the link where it says manuals and support
Attention Spektrum AR6250 Owners

Horizon has received reports of customers losing RF link when using AR6250’s within certain environments. After close monitoring and testing, Horizon has detected isolated issues with AR6250’s used in carbon fiber applications or in products containing highly reflective material. In these applications, Horizon has found that RF link issues may result in loss of communications. So I'm in the process of sending mine back
Once again I am sorry
baner
baner

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 pm

The antennas could be extended by the use of suitable pigtails but ping a "pick and stick" receiver (not hopping) there's always going to be more chance of shadowing and multi-pathing affecting the signal than with a FHSS system when used in a carbon model.

Which particular receivers were you thinking of?

The receiver would need to have a good earth-plane near the antenna wire itself so as to ensure the coaxial pigtail could be wired in without losing too much signal due to a big impedance change at the point where it's soldered to the board.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby minibell » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 am

OK.

Thanks Bruce.

Regards.
minibell

Return to Radios and Servos