Hobby King

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

How do you rate your satisfactioin with HobbyKing's service?

Excellent
21%
Good
46%
Average
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
15%

Total votes : 181

Re: Hobby King

Postby SimJen » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:11 pm

I've had good service from them.
Only thing i did have trouble with was a 1 week delay where they required visual confirmation of my credit card.
I had to photograph it and send it to them! Seemed like a waste of time, but I suppose sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.
But everything arrived in 4 days from the time of sending it, I've had items from NZ suppliers take longer!
My latest order, servos, charger and prop I paid via paypal to avoid issues, and hopefully that should be here this week.
You just have to be careful when ordering that stock in on hand otherwise you will wait!!!!
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby lental » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:11 pm

I've been told numerous times that you should only use PayPal when dealing with Asian suppliers due to significant issues with credit card fraud. A request for a photograph of a credit card is highly questionable and presents the possibility of the counterfeiting of a duplicate card based on the photo. I suggest that you discuss the HK request with your credit card company and perhaps considering closing the account and having a new card issued with a new number. Otherwise, you should watch the account closely to make sure fraudulent charges do not appear.
lental

Postby SimJen » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:18 pm

they seem reputable enough, i'm not worried as its a debit card and overseas suppliers always seem to have trouble with them for some reason.
i doubt they need a photo to duplicate the card, it was only of the front side and to prove that it was actually my card.
Anywhere you use a credit card has you input the numbers, the expiry, the security 3 digit pin and your name.....id say thats enough to duplicate the card!
Anyway my package left hobbyking on the 27th of this month and I got it last night! 3 days from Hong Kong!!!!!
SimJen

Postby ofer24 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:01 am

My recent experience with HobbyKing...

I ordered the corona DIY system with an additional 4-ch receiver (CR4D-2.4-II).
I received the corona DIY system without the CR8D receiver (its included with the tx). It was simply missing!
I opened a ticket the same day and sent all the photos of the box and contents plus package weight according to the procedure listed under "Wrong item received or parcel missing items" in the support section of their site. Then having to wait 48 hours or something.
So meanwhile I installed the DIY unit with the receiver I bought separately (It all works well).

THEN Joey from hobbyking support (its always Joey) asked me to send another photo with all the box contents displayed ON the scale.
This got me pretty agitated and I tried explaining that I already installed all the components and that it says nothing on their site regarding a photograph of all the items (visible) ON the scale, what good will that do anyway?! They don't even fit with the packaging on the scale together so as to be visible!! I got no reply as if they ignored my email.
Long story short...
HobbyKing: Good prices. S*&T service!
From now on its only ebay for me. Never had a problem thanks to the feedback system.

Be warned.
Last edited by ofer24 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ofer24

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 am

At this point, the first thing I do when receiving a package from HK is place it on the scales (unopened) and get pictures.

Then I open it and lay out all the bits (take more pictures)

Then I put the bits on the scales (sans packing) and take more pictures.

That way, if something is faulty or I've overlooked a missing bit -- I'm armed for the inevitable "lets try to dodge another claim by making it not worth the customers' time" tactics they throw up.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby ofer24 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:37 am

Maybe you're right and maybe they'll cook up some new verification to make after 48 hours.
I make it a rule to only be duped once by a given individual/company/seller, so I don't think I will be buying from hobbyking anytime soon...

By the way, I read the post on your site "Is that egg on my face..." and I agree regarding the package material absorbing humidity which would easily add the missing 5gr or whatever (especially here in Israel with 70-90% humidity in summer).

Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know what you might be in for...
I'm now on my way to buying another corona DIY unit from ebay, I'll tell you how it went.
***Update: I made an order with Himodel due to the positive reviews on this forum. I'll keep you posted (2/9/10)***

Cheers
Last edited by ofer24 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofer24

Postby Ampair » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:42 am

Swiss Post still have my parcel in their long wait department. I believe stuff travelled faster in the days of sailing ships.
About all that has happened is a weird hide the slipper game with their track and trace system. It appears and disappears from the three sites I have fried. Swiss Post in the Dark Tower in deepest Switzerland were first to advise receipt, but rapidly disavowed all knowledge. Swiss Post Singapore eventually advised that in the space of 1 minute it had arrived in Singapore, gone to the customs processing facility, and left for destination country. That was dated 6 days after first notification. New Zealand Post duplicated the Hong Kong information. Ten days later Singapore joined Switzerland in not acknowledging any such parcel was on this particular planet. NZPost kept their report steady. Another 5 days and Zurich restored their (second) progress report, and NZPost dropped their report. Singapore and NZPost found it again 2 days later. The parcel is still listed as leaving Singapore the very minute it arrived, why it periodically disappears is not stated.
The e-mail department is certainly fast, they ignored my e-mail instantly. A person less enthusiastic than I about Swiss efficiency might consider that for demonstrated inadequacy Swiss Post are unsurpassed. Being an ardent supporter I flatter them by thinking they are incompetent drongos, but I am far too polite to say so. From what others say about Swiss Post, it may need all this time to maintain their reputation for crushing and mangling packages.

They are still off my Christmas Card list.

edited: Swiss Post Singapore replaced Swiss Post Hong Kong. My bad.
Last edited by Ampair on Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ampair

Postby ofer24 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:28 am

FYI

I have just received my second order from Hobbyking (I placed 2 orders 2 days apart), and they did it again!
I purchased a battery and got no cables for it, even though they specifically mention that it does come with cables and plugs on their site.

This time I took your advice Bruce and photographed the package inside and out while on the scale!!

I sent them the whole shebang with a fools hope of getting some service.

P.S.
Regarding my last post in which an article was missing from my order (8-ch rx), "Joey" wrote...

"I am sorry if that make trouble to you. However, we can't open investigation for your case without the photo. We will check your case once received below photo. Thanks a lot for your cooperation in advance.

2: the picture that show a kitchen scale for entire parcel, the contents should can be seen "

...In other words (plain English): Forget it!

Cheers.
ofer24

Postby SimJen » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:49 pm

both times I received everything I asked for no problems.
SimJen

Postby ArjanH » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:30 pm

I was thinking about placing an order with Hobby King but it appears to be a "Luck of the Draw" senario.
I don't think I'll bother until some more positive feedback is posted.

Cheers everybody
ArjanH

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)