How to update FrSky Receivers?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

How to update FrSky Receivers?

Postby pkt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:43 am

I think this one is worth a new thread, maybe it can become the definitive 'How To' for FrSky...

I recently received the FrSky Telemetry combo, and want to update the firmware to try and solve a problem (servos chattering continuously when stationary). I got the Tx updated ok to the latest ROM version (100825), but how do I upgrade the Rx?

A ROM pattern is available for the Rx, but no instructions in the 'Firmware Update How-to' document on how to load it. If anyone knows how to do this can you please post it here?

Many thanks :-)
pkt

Re: How to update FrSky Receivers?

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:58 am

Just as a matter of interest, what transmitter are you using?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby pkt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:34 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Just as a matter of interest, what transmitter are you using?

I have 2 JR x3810's - both about 10 years old. So I'm using the FrSky DJT module.
pkt

Postby mr.sneezy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:21 am

pkt wrote:A ROM pattern is available for the Rx, but no instructions in the 'Firmware Update How-to' document on how to load it. If anyone knows how to do this can you please post it here?

Many thanks :-)
I think they've only just begun thinking about the RX updates. I've done one of my Two-Way RX's, for testing some FW they sent me. To update the RX you need to convert the RS232 logic and voltage from the PC comm port to TTL for the RX. I used a MAX232 chip I had on my prototyping board, and it worked fine. Direct connection does not work (not for me anyway).
Here's a commercial version of what I used.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0507433148
Not sure what FrSky intends to do here, maybe sell cables for the RX, maybe do 'back to dealer' upgrades. Maybe Bruce knows more about that.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Fly's airplanes & helis, glow & electric.
mr.sneezy

Postby pkt » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks Sneezy, that's what I needed to know. MAX232 will do it, or FrSky's converter circuit in the document "FrSky Protocol for Two Way System" on the download page.

I'll make up a cable and level shifter to connect the USB cable to the Rx, then I'll be ready when the Rx update is released.
pkt

Postby mr.sneezy » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:25 pm

I didn't look at the level shifter in detail, but as long as it also acts an inverter as well it should work. See a MAX232 block diagram to see what I mean.
mr.sneezy

Postby jet760 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:06 pm

I talked t Eva and they are making a cable for the Rx update
jet760

Postby mr.sneezy » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 pm

I've been informed via RCG that the new RX/TX firmware and a brief doco about it are on the FrSky site now.

The doco was thrown together fast and brief, I expect there will be more detail eventually, but it should be just enough to be deciphered by most hard core fiddlers.
mr.sneezy

Postby pkt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:24 pm

mr.sneezy wrote:I didn't look at the level shifter in detail, but as long as it also acts an inverter as well it should work. See a MAX232 block diagram to see what I mean.

Yes, FrSky's level shifter circuit is inverting.

mr.sneezy wrote:I've been informed via RCG that the new RX/TX firmware and a brief doco about it are on the FrSky site now.

The doco was thrown together fast and brief, I expect there will be more detail eventually, but it should be just enough to be deciphered by most hard core fiddlers.

Excellent! I'll try it soon. Thanks for the news.

Hey, I found out what's causing my servos to buzz when stationary. I'll post full details on the 'FrSky Problem' thread but basically it's RFI from the Rx the telemetry transmission coupling into the digital servo controllers. I'm posting a video to YT showing my tests.
pkt

Postby Bodmer » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:13 pm

I have managed to upgrade the FrSky 2 way system to the V2 ROM. As noted by other users, in the absence of adequate "how to" instructions from FrSky it is not obvious how the Rx can be upgraded, however examination of the Rx PCB showed that there are 0.05" spaced plated through holes at the antenna end of the Rx that connect to the MCU UART pins. These lines operate at 3.3V so take care to treat them as 3.3V logic lines as they cannot tolerate an overvoltage. When these pads are wired to a PC via a logic level to UART-USB converter it is possible to reprogram the Rx as per FrSky instructions. I soldered a programming connector straight to the pads but the average user would not wish to do this.... is there an easier way?

I found that FT232R based UART-USB converters do not appear to be compatible with the FrSky upgrade software however the Silabs CP2102 based converters work fine.

Having upgraded the software to both the FrSky 2 way Tx module and the Rx, and selecting the higher PPM frame rate, the jitter is no longer noticed on any of the servos I tried.

A log of the PPM output indicates there are still some small steps in the output but these are significantly reduced due to the 2x frame rate and hence it is unlikely that these will be noticed.

This is clearly a worthwhile upgrade if you are suffering from servo jitter, however the upgrade path is non-trivial unless FrSky are going to provide detailed instructions and perhaps a programming adapter.

ATB,
Bodmer
Bodmer

Next

Return to Radios and Servos