Noob question - FRSky vs. Hitec Optic 6

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Noob question - FRSky vs. Hitec Optic 6

Postby Hanzo » Thu May 20, 2010 4:30 am

Hi there,

I soo much appreciate BS-free opinion and as such love your site. So I am in the city now (Chicago) and thus would like to get in to 2.4, but am also a student and thus am, well, poor. It kills me to see what Spektrum, Hitec and the other big boys want for the rxs, so your info on FRSky was well interesting. Thanks for that!

Now about that antenna. Oh, and a quick disclaimer that I know bugger-all about this stuff, and as such may test the "no stupid questions" idea. Can't one get a small extension cord and mount the arial on the handle? Maybe even parallel - heck, I believe the only dead spot on those antennas is right out the tip, so most of the guys I see with them keep them pointed to the left or right anyway.

Also, it looks as though getting a radio with a module (a'la the optic 6) is becoming a thing of the past? Now they all come pre-done for the 2.4 of that brand? Will this force the "other guys" like FRSky, Corona, Asan, etc. to make radios? Or will Turnigy get their stuff together and make something that will pass muster?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hanzo
Hanzo

Re: Noob question - FRSky vs. Hitec Optic 6

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu May 20, 2010 6:11 am

Yes, you can get an antenna extension from several different sources. I'll dig some up and post them tomorrow.

You must be careful though because there are two standards for the SMA connectors that are used.

There is the original SMA and then there's RPSMA. The two are not compatible so you need to make sure which is which. I can't remember off the top of my head which one the FrSky uses but I'll check tomorrow.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Hanzo » Thu May 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks for that. Still debating getting that Turnigy thing, but the idea of a bad unit setting me back kinda scares me... That and UH is always out.
Hanzo

Postby RobC » Mon May 24, 2010 11:09 am

FrSky are RP-SMA Bruce/Hanzo - plenty available on ebay for a few £/$.
RobC

Return to Radios and Servos