What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

What brand of RC glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

OS
26
41%
Thunder Tiger
3
5%
ASP/Magnum
9
14%
Saito
5
8%
YS
0
No votes
Enya
3
5%
SuperTigre
4
6%
Webra
3
5%
Tower/GMS
2
3%
Other (specify)
8
13%
 
Total votes : 63

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:14 am

Did I ever tell you about my castor addiction? :lol:
My Enya four stroke .60 is totally sweet, except the weight. Looooong break in. :shock:
jeffie8696
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby raptor22 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:24 pm

I prefer cheap value oriented engines. None of the brands are that awful that they can't be made to run and run well.
raptor22
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 pm

raptor22 wrote:I prefer cheap value oriented engines. None of the brands are that awful that they can't be made to run and run well.

That depends on the type of flying you do.

If you're just a sport flier then what you say is correct but if you fly something a little more demanding of the engine's throttling and reliability (such as 3D) then there are some engines that aren't suitable at all.

For instance, a SuperTigre 51 or 90 is *not* an engine anyone in their right mind would use for 3D.

Likewise, many of the cheap Chinese .50-.56 engines have such awful throttle response that they also are more trouble than they're worth for 3D.

Sport-flying? No problems -- just fix the inevitable air leaks and you're away.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
User avatar
RCModelReviews
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 am

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby raptor22 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:05 am

I don't fly 3D and when I do I will use a petrol engine.

And that market is pretty much dominated by the cheap engines from the east.. (well west in your part of the world..does New Zealand even have an east?)
raptor22
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby jeffie8696 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:15 pm

I am working on breaking in a Magnum (ASP/Sanye) 52 four stroke. So far it is making good power but it is not as refined as a similar Saito or OS. I suffered a crash due to electrical failure and had to start over with another test plane. Four strokes are a lot harder on airframes due to the vibration.
jeffie8696
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm

jeffie8696 wrote:I am working on breaking in a Magnum (ASP/Sanye) 52 four stroke. So far it is making good power but it is not as refined as a similar Saito or OS. I suffered a crash due to electrical failure and had to start over with another test plane. Four strokes are a lot harder on airframes due to the vibration.

Yes, most 4-strokes do vibrate more -- that's because instead of two moderately strong combustion cycles every two revolutions, you get one much more powerful (and sustained) combustion cycle.

Experiment with props.

Sometimes a heavy prop will suppress a lot of vibration, other times you'll get less vibes from a light wooden prop.

Tuning has a big effect too. A 4-stroke that's too rich in the mid/low throttle range will tend to shake more than one which has been tuned properly.

If you really want to see a 4-stroke shake, get a Saito 100 or 180. They're *very* light engines for their displacement and they are bone-breakers. But they do put out very good power and for 3D flying (where power-to-weight is important) they are hard to beat.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
User avatar
RCModelReviews
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 am

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:58 pm

raptor22 wrote:I don't fly 3D and when I do I will use a petrol engine.

Petrol is really only viable for 30cc and up. In smaller capacities they're just way-too-heavy for the amount of power they deliver.

Those 26cc Chinese petrol engines you see just don't have what it takes for good 3D but the DLE30 is not too bad. Once you get to 50cc and bigger then obviously petrol is the *only* option.

For under 30cc though, a good Saito 100, 125 or 180 glow engine is the way to go!

And that market is pretty much dominated by the cheap engines from the east.. (well west in your part of the world..does New Zealand even have an east?)

No, we're on the international date-line so there's no East here. The rises in the west and sets in the west. It's very peculiar really :?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
User avatar
RCModelReviews
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 am

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby raptor22 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:17 am

Yeah I am looking at a 30cc Edge 540 for 3D and LSA. Would tend to agree that below that size a methanol 4S is the way to go, at least until the DLE20 has ben properly evaluated. Do you have a review planeed for the newer generation of small gasser e.g. DLE 20, JBA 15? Thesea re beam mount engines and seem to be delivering the goods if other forums discussion on these are to be believed.
raptor22
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:01 am

raptor22 wrote:Yeah I am looking at a 30cc Edge 540 for 3D and LSA. Would tend to agree that below that size a methanol 4S is the way to go, at least until the DLE20 has ben properly evaluated. Do you have a review planeed for the newer generation of small gasser e.g. DLE 20, JBA 15? Thesea re beam mount engines and seem to be delivering the goods if other forums discussion on these are to be believed.

I certainly am looking at reviewing the DLE20, it could be a bit of a "game changer" if it works as well as many hope.

Not so sure about the JBA15.

Based on the performance of DLE engines versus "the rest" in the 26cc-30cc marketplace, a DLE20 would be a whole lot more engine than a JBA15 -- but that's just speculation.

My only concern with the DLE is that early-adopters may find themselves acting as beta-testers, as was the case with the original DLE30 -- which had a few problems. Hopefully not -- we'll have to wait and see.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
User avatar
RCModelReviews
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 3:40 am

Re: What brand of glow/nitro engine do you prefer?

Postby pushinoldrc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:15 am

RCModelReviews wrote:
raptor22 wrote:Yeah I am looking at a 30cc Edge 540 for 3D and LSA. Would tend to agree that below that size a methanol 4S is the way to go, at least until the DLE20 has ben properly evaluated. Do you have a review planeed for the newer generation of small gasser e.g. DLE 20, JBA 15? Thesea re beam mount engines and seem to be delivering the goods if other forums discussion on these are to be believed.

I certainly am looking at reviewing the DLE20, it could be a bit of a "game changer" if it works as well as many hope.

Not so sure about the JBA15.

Based on the performance of DLE engines versus "the rest" in the 26cc-30cc marketplace, a DLE20 would be a whole lot more engine than a JBA15 -- but that's just speculation.

My only concern with the DLE is that early-adopters may find themselves acting as beta-testers, as was the case with the original DLE30 -- which had a few problems. Hopefully not -- we'll have to wait and see.


I am definitely interested in your evaluation of any of the smaller gassers. I have a Tartan 77 twin (48cc) that runs on methanol, low or no nitro. It has a nasty tendancy to reverse rotation anywhere around idle, and it seems to prefer to run backwards. I intend to convert to ignition, but still use 0% nitro. methanol + 20% Castor oil. The ignition timing will be set at 28 degrees BTDC. This engine will be installed in a TopFlite GS Corsair. I plan to use a 22-10 prop.

If anyone has any concerns or suggestions, please post this message board. I need all the help I can get!
Thanks,
Bryan
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
User avatar
pushinoldrc
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: N.E. Georgia, USA

PreviousNext

Return to IC Engines

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests