Spektrum/JR DSM2

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: Spektrum/JR DSM2

Postby pwy » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:37 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I would also like to review the Weatronics. I'll contact them and see if they're interested in submitting a system for close scrutiny.

Off topic here... The Weatronic system is first class but their customer service is below HobbyKing level. Emails are not answered and their shop does not accept shipping addresses to many destinations. Short of calling them and talking to them (best in German!) there does not seem to be a way of contacting them.
You could try the US Distributor. Gerhard Paasche is much more responsive and answers emails quickly but they obviously have as well communication problems with the German HQ as the latest products are still nowhere to be seen on the US website. :-(
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby startrex » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:37 am

Question for our RF technical experts:

With the upcoming release of DX8/DX10 which, to my knowledge, are advertised as DSM2, to what extend could a firmware upgrade change the nature of the connection?

As the DSSS system is already able to select channels through the whole range, could a firmware upgrade change the system to FHSS communication, or is there a need for additional HW components?

Of course that does not answer the RX problem, but being able to keep your TX investment would already be a nice step.

Thx,

TX.
startrex

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:41 am

There is no reason that they couldn't introduce a FHSS (actually constantly hopping DSSS like all the other so-called FHSS systems on the market) by altering the software.

Indeed, that's all the DSMJ system is -- it's DSM2 hardware with a different bit of software in it to keep changing the operating frequencies.

One of the problems however, is that the cypress chips they're using are getting a bit long in the tooth (hence the poor low-voltage performance) so if they do simply update the firmware and introduce DSM3 they'll still be a generation behind the competition -- but it would be a *huge* improvement in terms of handling a noisy band.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby flyroger » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:00 pm

I think the debate between JR and Fatuba Receivers as far as the low voltage drop out has gone to nitpicking. Both receivers drop out at about 3 volts. If there is a problem I would blame the pilot for not setting the plane up correctly with the proper size battery for his airplane. It is common knowledge about this problem and with proper batteries and regulators this will not happen. I use JR in 35% planes and never had a brown out. I have no problems with Fatuba and consider it to be a fine radio. I just happen to start out with JR and see no reason to change. I just think this discussion had gotten out of hand. I enjoy the reviews very much and want them to continue, you are an asset to the hobby.
flyroger

Previous

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers