USB Spectrum Analyzers and Oscilloscopes

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

USB Spectrum Analyzers and Oscilloscopes

Postby takilara » Thu May 20, 2010 10:53 pm

Hello. This is a topic, somewhat on the side of the "RC" part, but can be used in the RC hobby as Bruce has showed..

I was wondering if people have experience with various brands of USB Spectrum Analyzers and various brands of USB Oscilloscopes.

For USB Spectrum analyzers, i have been looking at the Metageeks Wi-Spy 2.4i and the Ubiquiti AirView2 2.4 that seem alot cheaper than the Wi-Spy. Anyone that have tested any of these and have any feedback to offer?

For USB oscilloscopes, i currently have a USB Instruments Stingray. I like the hardware, and if functions well enough, however i REALLY dislike the software. (its designed for people that have used oscilloscopes, but haven't used a computer, so it is not possible to scale the user interface, and you are stuck looking at a VERY small picture on your screen unless you change your resolution..). Does anyone have any other scope suggestions for "hobby" use?

Any other "must have" tools one should consider?
The price of getting what you want;
is getting what you once wanted...
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Re: USB Spectrum Analyzers and Oscilloscopes

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu May 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Speaking of USB scopes, I spotted this on DealExtreme the other day (remember that the price includes shipping).

They also have this stand-alone scope at a good price.

I haven't actually had a hands-on of either device but some google searches should bring up other people's opinions.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby takilara » Fri May 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Thanks!
I'll look into that dealextreme one, its either getting a new one, or find alternate software for the stingray.

I saw one with VERY good specs and price posted alot on ebay a few years back, but google revealed that that one was a hoax... Lets hope the dealextreme is better..
The price of getting what you want;
is getting what you once wanted...
_____
T-REX 600 ESP
CopterX 450AE V2
Multiplex FunCub
Belt-CP
takilara

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 pm

I buy quite a bit of stuff from DealExtreme (DX). Their prices aren't always the lowest but when you consider that they include shipping, that sometimes makes a big difference.

They are an interesting business model -- they don't hold stock of anything, they buy in and ship on customer orders so their overheads are *very* low -- hence the low prices.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Roger » Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 pm

I picked up my single channel 10Mhz oscilloscope from Jarcar Bruce ($199 NZD) here http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp ... rm=KEYWORD, I see now that I have bought mine they have dropped the price for everyone else (how thoughtful!). I did have to replace the probe as the orignial one had a faulty connection - thankfully warranty covered that - something to watch for when buying from overseas...!
Roger
Roger

Postby nordwest » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:29 pm

I got my Ubiquiti AirView2 2 days ago - not much function and the waterfall diagram runs only for 30 minutes acurate (software update will come) - on the other hand a nice toy for checking your RX/TX or compare it to others - nice to have and for 39$ worth the money.
nordwest

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks