ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Discussion on reviews of Glow/nitro and gas engines

Re: ASP/Sanye/Magnum 52 2-stroke glow engine

Postby jeffie8696 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:35 am

I was getting new DVII carbs for like $10. That makes the $50 engine $60 but it then will run like a much more expensive one. Sure the Thunder Tiger is a great engine and I love the heck out of all mine but I am also the biggest cheapskate in the world. ;) Sure its still only a few bucks more to get a really nice engine right out of the box( I have great luck with the TT GP42) but if those cheap engines ever go on clearance? 8-)
And no if I was to build a really nice 3D plane or really cared about my airframe I would go with the "good stuff" but, especially for a trainer that is probably going to get kinda beat up, I would use a decent "el cheapo" IF it would throttle properly.
That way I wouldnt cry as hard when it took a dirtnap.
I trained on a PT-40 with an Aviastar 53 with a DVII carb, it throttled well and made great power. But I am now using my trainer airframe to test different engines , currently it has an Irvine .40 with a GMS47 muffler and that engine will spoil you!!
Which one should I test next week?
Where are you getting TT Pros for $80?????? They are about $100 at Tower plus shipping.
jeffie8696

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:04 am

I was buying them from RadicalRC but haven't bought one for a while (I stocked up). Now that I check, I see their price is back up to $93 plus shipping too.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:59 pm

I used a Thunder Tiger GP42 in my Escapde, it was an excellent match and pulled it around just fine. And when I planted it in that bean field it was a lot less stressful than if I had used one of my expensive Irvine or OS engines. Luckily when I dug the engine out of the ground it had no damage at all (like to see that with an OS LA ).
I am more inclined to have fun with my planes if I know I dont have a weeks pay tied up in an engine that I just might turn into scrap if I forget my up from down.
I fly to relax. And you have been a big help by saving my a lot of money .
jeffie8696

Postby jaav » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:57 pm

Good review.
I have a few ASPs 52 2c and 4c, 61's and a 400 5cly.
all but the 400 have had the mains done :? . Most of my flying is WOT :twisted: , but the carby problem comes now and then, needle.
I have a 61 thats on a pipe and 9x10 with 20%, havent had problems yet, likes the plugs with its high comp, it also went swimming in the ocean some time ago befor the pipe came along.. For the Price? cant beat it...
jaav

Postby jeffie8696 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 pm

I have an ASP .12 that spent a few flights attached to a Herr Little Extra. It got planted in the bean field after experiencing a DX6 pot failure. Anyway it pulled the Little Extra around nicely and it throttled well. Cant wait to get my next Little Extra back together and flying.
jeffie8696

Postby voidhawk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:11 am

Hi

I wanted to try nitro and i have a size 46 mentor, I read all these reviews about ASP and how relatively cheap this is compared to OS.
But I'm a beginner (to nitro) and I want a reliable engine that i want to enjoy a very long time with out those deadsticks and hard to maintain engines.

I'm spotting for the OS 55ax against the ASP 52.

I'm going to use 10% nitro and if i decide to use asp, then I'm going to use 5%.

I would like to ask if what engine should i decide if I'm a beginner. I want to enjoy nitro with my plane. please help me decide. :oops:

I fly here in the Philippines and it is usually hot in here. Can you suggest any suitable glow plug for me?

Thanks
Mike
voidhawk

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:29 am

The OS will likely be a more reliable (but significantly more expensive) engine "out of the box".

However, the ASP52 can be made quite reliable so long as you use a bit of low-strength locktite on the carburetor bolts and stop the main needle-valve from leaking.

A good plug for the OS55AX has proven to be the OS-F which is actually a 4-stroke plug.

Be sure and use an old plug to break-in your engine because it could become fouled by tiny particles of metal which wear off as the engine's moving parts are polishing to a better fit.
RCModelReviews

Postby voidhawk » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Thank you sir.

If i may i still dont have any used glowplugs ill try to ask from my friends.
Anyway, Ill trully follow your instructions to use OS-F glow plug, hopefully
the hobby shop carries one. Of course ill use this after break in.

As a novice in nitro engine. Ill start with the "OS out of the box reliability stuff" then
when i'm familiar with engines, Ill see to that that i can give my test to the asp engine.

Thank you for having us this forum and for your blog. I hope that you will continue support
newbies like myself. This will save us more money familiarize ourselves with selecting
the best engines.

Mike
voidhawk

Postby gruvin » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Just to add my recent experience with an ASP .52 from Hobby King ...

Basically, "all what he said" — especially the rich mid-range issue — except for possibly two improvements.

I ordered the remote needle valve version and this one is very tight and snug indeed. So much so that it practically hurts trying to turn it by hand. Alas, I suspect this is more to do with its O-rings than a spring or ratchet arm. So I'm not sure how long it will remain this way. Then again, once set, the thing requires very little tweaking.

My muffler came factory standard with what appears to be red silicone-based gaskets on the two sections that count. (I didn't poke and prod them to be sure as I didn't want to cause damage.) So far it has shown no signs of leakage other than just a little out the two ends where the long machine screw enters and exits. But it's very early days, having run through only 3 tanks of fuel thus far.

I'll be trying an F plug today (since I have one) and an OS #7 when I find out where to get them, some time later. I actually got this motor for a 3D SPA3D before reading the RCMR review. This is unfortunate because I think this mid-range-rich issue is going to cause problems. Next stop, an ASP 4-stroke!
gruvin

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Using our "special brew" (12% Aerosave oil, 5% nitro, 83% methanol) and a hot plug, we've got the 52s throttling pretty good now. The only time they load up is if you have them idling for an extended amount of time - but you can mitigate that by blipping the throttle occasionally.

I'm going to throw a .52 into my next slab and see how I get on.

It was an ASP52 that killed my last Katana profile. I was doing low rolling harriers and when I blipped the throttle during the knife-edge part of a roll -- nothing happened (except a bit of smoke) so the nose dropped dramatically -- it sort of knife-edged into the ground. Being the frail birds they are (and having already been repaired a million times), the fuselage broke in front of and behind the wing. It wasn't worth repairing at that stage.

I'm hoping the new plug/fuel combo will be more successful with the new Katana :-)

I'll post video when it's done (and the gales subside) so people can judge for themselves.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to IC engines