The ongoing 72Mhz AM reciever saga

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

The ongoing 72Mhz AM reciever saga

Postby FlyBoy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:43 pm

A question for the electro whizzes out there. Can a 27/29 MHz receiver, or any other receiver for that matter, be converted to 72 MHz, and if so , is it a big task and, is there anyone that has the know-how to do it?
FlyBoy

Re: The ongoing 72Mhz AM reciever saga

Postby Flash1940 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Do you have any schematics on the RX you wish to convert???
Flash1940

Postby FlyBoy » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Not as yet, at this point I am wondering if it can be done, and if it is worth doing. There are plenty 27/29 MHz but not many 72, hence my enquiry.
FlyBoy

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 pm

FlyBoy wrote:A question for the electro whizzes out there. Can a 27/29 MHz receiver, or any other receiver for that matter, be converted to 72 MHz, and if so , is it a big task and, is there anyone that has the know-how to do it?

It can be converted but generally speaking, it's not worth the effort.

You'll have to rewind the front-end and oscillator coils.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby pushinoldrc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 pm

I recently received a Futaba 6Xsuper in an E-bay auction that was 35Mhz. I am in the US and the majority of the FM users are at 72Mhz. I purchased a Corona DIY module kit and converted this radio to 2.4Ghz. I really like the layout of the 6XAsuper radios, and had never seen one labeled '6Xs'. I am currently using this radio for all my planes, as it is in very good shape. Due to the excellent reviews by Bruce on the FrSky system, I plan to purchase some of these DIY units to upgrade my existing Corona and other 72Mhz radios.
These DIY modules are very easy to install, and I will never worry about converting anything from one band to another, other than 2.4.
Bryan
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby FlyBoy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:10 am

Hi Bryan.
I have done the same hack with a Corona kit in a Multiplex Cockpit MM, and it works 100% A OK, I use the MM for my Sloping in Hamilton NZ.
I also have a Futaba 8FG, but the receivers are too expensive for sloping, so they go into my thermal planes, however I am looking to get my 10 year old grandson involved.
I have a very nice 2x4 with 72AM single stick TX but no RX. The next step would be to 2.4MHZ the small rig for him, but I am again not sure if you can convert an AM TX………….can you Bruce.
FlyBoy

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries