FrSky Telemetry set + Turnigy 9X v2

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

FrSky Telemetry set + Turnigy 9X v2

Postby Rex » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:15 am

Hi, only recently found your forum - which is a goldmine !!
I've bitten the bullet and ordered one of those $60 2.4GHz Tx's/paperweights and was wondering if it could possibly accommodate the FrSky Two-way 2.4G JR Compatible Radio System Telemetry DJT/D8R offering, with suitable mods if need be ?
Any suggestions ?
Rex

Re: FrSky Telemetry set + Turnigy 9X v2

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:20 pm

Yes, I'm going to be doing a DIY article on fitting the telemetry-enabled system and my dashboard to the 9X.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jay-pheno » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:16 pm

i cant wait :)
this will be a mod ill do for sure , the more i read on the cooler it sounds :D
jay-pheno

Postby JollyKoker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:59 am

Hello together!

This sounds very interesting. As this is will be the Chinese-Super-Combo regarding radio gear (in this moment). :)
There is one thought i have for quite some days now:
Wouldn´t it be possible to use the 9X display instead of the dashoard-display? (Please excuse, i´m not in eletronics that deep to be able to evaluate if this is possible or not - it just sounds good to me)
Also when having a look to the custom firmwares that are around? May be there can be integrated an interface (or is it existing) to grab the data from the FrSky-module and display it using the 9X. Will the computing power be sufficient? Does it effect the input-lag to much?

Don´t beat me if not, just told you some thoughts i had.

Yours Peer

P.S.: Bruce, would you please change my username to "JollyJoker"? There is a typo i missed when registering. And due to the low postcount, (one for now) i am not possible to write you a pm for that.
P.P.S.: I´m from germany, so don´t attend to much to mistakes you will find in my writings :oops:
JollyKoker

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:56 am

Yes, I'm going to have a look and see if there's any spare I/O on the Atmel processor in the 9X and possibly use the inbuilt LCD to display some basic data.

However, as you'll soon discover when you actually use telemetry, an display on the transmitter is not really very useful because you've got to take your eyes off the model to see what it says.

That's why I've built the speech synthesizer into my telemetry dashboard. It's *much* easier if you can have an ear-bud in your ear and the radio tells you what's happening. Of course that does mean there's a language barrier for non-english speakers but the speech synth can also make a wide range of other sounds to indicate various alarm conditions if required. I've added a vibration alert too -- so your radio will vibrate when an alarm is triggered.
RCModelReviews

Postby JollyKoker » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am

Yes, speach-synth is a powerful feature, regardless the language. Everybody should be able to learn some basic words as: Volt / Ampere / RSSI and so on.
As the announcement will only be needed for some serious events, like battery exhaustet or out of range.
Otherwise a couple of different beeps, or even better the vibration alert, in different intensity or rythm can be used to indicate the wanted alerts.

I intend to use the system not in an airplane, but in an fast electric boat (100+ mph), which can "stand" just on the water if not driving - a plane will surely not :roll:
So i can inform myself how much mAh´s allready used, or some other information i want to have. When driving/flying there is no possibility to look for the display i agree, so the acoustic or vibration alert is much more suitable to inform the pilot.

To have it all together in one "toy" looks to be more attractive, as you can´t forget to take all boxes and cables around with you when going to have a flight, just take the radio, the model, some (hopefully charged) lipo´s and off you go.
JollyKoker

Postby rayholland » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm

hi,

YES, it is possible to use the turnigy 9x display to show telemetry data. But you must have very good soldering skills.
Unfortunally both atmel uarts are allready in use. You can however reroute UART0 (Ail.DR und Thr.Cut) as following:

1. reroute Thr.Cut (PE0) with PC6 (Pin 41)
2. reroute Ail.DR (PE1) with PC7 (Pin 42)

And then offcourse you have to write your own code for the atmel64.
see http://utfreaks.de/blog/?p=309 (same thing, but with a JETI module)

regards,
raymond
rayholland

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes, i've been looking at doing just that and am about to order another 9X as a "hack platform" so stay tuned ;-)

With the FrSky module and suitable new firmware, you get more radio than a DX8 at a tiny fraction the price.
RCModelReviews

Postby rayholland » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

that's what i'm talking about!
i posted something about the Turnigy 9X with a FrSky module in a local forum here in Holland and the second reply i got was: cheap chinese crap without CE approval.
They really don't know the potentials, this 'opensource' tx has....
hehe i'm just waiting for the next big bug in there so called 'professional high quality transmitters' and everybody has to send their tx back to their supplier, while the th9x owners just reflash their tx with a new revision firmware when a bug is found. lol.

long live opensource!
rayholland

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:49 am

I have suggested to FrSky that they consider making a 9X-version of the module that can accept a pure-digital data-stream at a faster frame-rate (to rival Spektrum's 7mS perhaps).

This, and the integrated telemetry would *really* produce a superior radio to the DX8 at a tiny fraction the price.
RCModelReviews

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks