Hobby King

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

How do you rate your satisfactioin with HobbyKing's service?

Excellent
21%
Good
46%
Average
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
15%

Total votes : 181

Re: Hobby King

Postby ofer24 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:31 pm

Have just purchased a bunch of stuff from hobbyking including a Turnigy 9X remote.
I selected airmail for a little extra $$ (I live in Israel).

I'll keep you all posted regarding postage time and package condition on arrival.

Cheers.
ofer24

Postby jeffie8696 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:50 am

I returned a defective part to HK, had an RMA number and everything. I used cheap shipping since the return shipping with confirmation would have cost more than the part did. And like Bruce said would happen they "lost it".
jeffie8696

Postby JBC » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:49 pm

thanks for the warning, I have to send 4 DOA electric retracts back and I was gonna go the cheap shipping, looks like I'll pay a little more now and use registered.
Helping the glue industry, one crash at a time.....
JBC

Postby Ampair » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:17 am

To Swiss Posts undying shame, my package slipped through the system and arrived at my door on the very next postal delivery after the package reached New Zealand.

Not only did it streak across the globe at almost a walking pace while entrusted to Swiss Post's incomparably incompetent nincompoops; they let it through with only damaged packing. Two opposite corners of the box were thoroughly Swissed and flattened, but their parcel manglers failed to damage the contents even slightly.

What about Swiss Post's proud tradition of smashing AND losing the goods in ultra slow-motion? Epic fail, all they did was delay the order for 6 weeks longer than the 2nd slowest carrier. Somebody will get fired for dropping standards here.

Needless to say, they have not replied to any e-mails and messages sent via their website are either totally ignored or acknowledged then ignored.
HobbyKing at least replied (eventually) even if all they did was spout soothing platitudes. (Well, semi-soothing.)

One month and 25 days from HobbyKing to New Zealand - amazing. The slowest delivery I have ever had from anywhere in the world by a factor of 5, and the most damaged I have ever had. Switzerland should be the next French test site.
Ampair

Postby AE25 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:28 am

so has swiss post got anything to do with switzerland or is it the name given to them once the package arrives. like the cheese?

Ok so ive bought from HK for the first time. ordered the turnigy 9x and an asp61fs (us$100 impulse buy) and other bits. paid for EMS (no lipo), and another load of smaller bits in a 2nd order and paid for the cheaper 'air post'. both have now been stated as 'shipped' on their website.
question is, how do we keep track of the package? the both packages link to the hongkong post website tracking page.. but none of the numbers given on the HK site work. any tips?
-Mark
warbird fan and old toyota's
AE25

Postby jomarx » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:18 am

If your order is just recent, those numbers wont work yet. Try again after a few days and you will see a status update.
jomarx

2 thumbs up for HobbyKing

Postby bnrusso » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:34 am

I'm in the USA.
I have only 13 orders with HobbyKing since Feb. 2009
The most expensive only $66 SHIPPED.
The cheapest, $12.45 SHIPPED.
I always use paypal with my credit card as let VISA refund my money if I have a problem (but I have not).
Servos, batteries, props (but not any more*), motors, ESCs, heat shrink tubing, hardware, ...
Always use slooooooow shipping. I'm never in a hurry.
Only had 2 problem but they were both fairly resolved and not too slow.
It took a few e-mails to show them they had a problem but they found it, apologized and got it to me.
I'm not happy that they have raised their item shipping weight over the years I have ordered.
That's why I no longer order my *GWS electric props from them.
I'm happy that they now have a USA warehouse with reasonable shipping for models.
I have never purchased a bigger box model from them but at USA warehouse $14 shipping I will soon.
I find that there are cheaper places for many of their parts in certain circumstances.
When I find better sources, I use those better sources.
bnrusso

Postby lental » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:25 am

I had 39 orders with HK before I stopped buying from them and only one time did a tracking number ever work. Even then it only tracked departure from HK. Once it got to the U.S. there was no further tracking. I had only one order go by SwissPost and it took longer than any other order I had but that was still only a little over three weeks. I might have had other orders on which the tracking worked but after trying it half a dozen times, I just gave up and waited for the package which usually arrived in about 10 days.
lental

Postby lexin » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:19 am

Be warned : HK's policy on missing items

I recently ordered several items including 2 units of 2350maH 4s Lipos and Velcro and had them shipped via EMS. My packaged was delivered after 5 days but without the Lipos and Velcro. So, I followed the procedure for filing a missing item report and submitted it to them.

They have submitted my case to management for review and I am waiting for a reply. I requested for the missing items to be sent to me via EMS (this is what I payed for) and mine is a clear case of HK making a mistake with the packing. I sent them a photo with the Postage Slip from Speedpost Singapore indicating that the package weight is 0.4kg. My package weight should be at least 984g as indicated by the shopping cart on their system.

HK came back with this reply :

"Please be advised that due to company policy, we can only offer store credit or a replacement sent via registered air mail."

I am not sure how they will compute the store credit. Registered Post will not work in my case since lipos can only be shipped via EMS. I have been a HK customer since 2006 ad have made many orders with them and spent thousands. This experience is the worst and makes me wonder whether I should continue to deal with them. Does anyone here have a similar experience?
lexin

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:45 am

Yes, it sucks -- especially with lipos.

I also understand that if a package is lost in transit and they (eventually) reimburse you, it is done by way of "points". The problem is that "points" can't be used to pay for postage so you can't use your refund without sending them *more* money.

As I've always said: never spend more with HK than you're prepared to lose.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)