Substitue for monocote

If you've got a problem then you can ask here and either I or others will likely come to your rescue.

Substitue for monocote

Postby voidhawk » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:51 am

Hi Are there any substitute material for any covering other than monocote, ultracote..orca cover....etc?
voidhawk

Re: Substitue for monocote

Postby disco stu » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:26 pm

Laminating film seems popular. Used some once that I got from the printer shop and it sucked. Got some really thin stuff from http://www.nqrc.com, really cheap by comparison as well but it is clear. About to order some a little thicker for a sloper from him too

I used to use brown paper and thinned out PVA as a kid. Worked well and was cheap, probably a little heavier than monokote and the like though
disco stu

Postby voidhawk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks disco,

What do you think about this product?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/stor ... rentCat=58

Mike
voidhawk

Postby disco stu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:14 am

I've never used their covering myself, just havn't had the need for it since finding out they sell it. Price is definitely right compared to the alternatives (or in Australia at least).

I have heard from other people that its a really good covering, often rated higher than any of the stuff you can get in local shops around here, especially so considering the price. Supposed to be really tough. Apparantly one issue though is that the glue/colouring leaves a white mark where it has shrunk back, if you know what I mean. May not be an sissue if your like me, it will look bad anyway :D . All I am wondering is how much would postage be for it

Hopefuly someone with some first hand experience with it can chime in
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:08 am

If it's like the Toughlon stuff out of China then yes it is tough and does have a white edge -- which is a real pain with the darker colors but it's *way* cheaper than the "brand name" coverings which is a huge bonus.

I prefer Oracover (aka: Ultracoat) but it is spendy.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jeffie8696 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:54 pm

SIG is discontinuing its coverings and has them on sale.
jeffie8696

Return to Help Needed