FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: FrSky conversion of JR XP7202

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:55 pm

BobAZ wrote:Well I did the Schottky diode modification to my JR XP7202 with the FrSky DIY module. Took my Slow Stick out and had very crazy flying. It finally nosed in and bent the aluminum fuselage. I have not had good luck with the FrSky – lost my Trojan with the first setup before the diode mod.

Bob.....I noticed you have one of the "aluminum tube" type Slow Sticks. You didn't mention how you had mounted your RX. If you mount the RX with the RX antenna parallel to the aluminum tube....you are inviting range problems....big time. My suggestion.....check your mount & be sure the ant. is perpendicular to the tube. Maybe Bruce would comment on this....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby BobAZ » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Flash1940 wrote:
BobAZ wrote:Well I did the Schottky diode modification to my JR XP7202 with the FrSky DIY module. Took my Slow Stick out and had very crazy flying. It finally nosed in and bent the aluminum fuselage. I have not had good luck with the FrSky – lost my Trojan with the first setup before the diode mod.

Bob.....I noticed you have one of the "aluminum tube" type Slow Sticks. You didn't mention how you had mounted your RX. If you mount the RX with the RX antenna parallel to the aluminum tube....you are inviting range problems....big time. My suggestion.....check your mount & be sure the ant. is perpendicular to the tube. Maybe Bruce would comment on this....

Flash

Flash,

Thanks for the reply, but once I installed a JR module inside my XP7202 it worked great. So my problem was the DIY module was bad.

I have since flown the Slow Stick with one antenna going down the "fuselage" and the other one at 90° and it works fine – so bad DIY.

I will take your suggestion and send each of the antenna out the side at 45° to the fuselage.
BobAZ

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:27 pm

That sounds good to me.....maybe mount it on the side so that the antennae are pointing upward & downward.....not horizontal. A Slow Stick won't be likely out there doing a knife edge !!!

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Well.....I decided to take a chance. I have this module.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=14353 And this RX.... http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=14350 on the way in. I have a JR XP-652 that I'm going to modify. I hope I've ordered the right stuff.
Gonna be a bunch of fun....I think....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby BobAZ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I live in the upper-central North Island. We've had some wild weather -- although we missed out on the huge snowfalls and earthquakes of the more southern regions.

Any further advances?
Really looking forward to those pictures.
BobAZ

Postby BobAZ » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I live in the upper-central North Island. We've had some wild weather -- although we missed out on the huge snowfalls and earthquakes of the more southern regions.

Any further advances?
Really looking forward to those pictures.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Hopefully this week -- so much to do, so little time (at present).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Lindsay » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:35 am

pwy wrote:@BobAZ
I have today removed a FrSky JR module from the case. (Had to put it into a different case as the original one did not fit the old JR Apex transmitter.)

You are right, the circuit board is glued in and additionally it is a very tight fit. But the glue is only on two sides, gluing the board to the case and no glue on the underside. Tried with a knife blade down the side first but what worked in the end was to slightly bend the case with my fingers to the outside and "breaking" the glue.
If you are not worried about the case you can just use force and break the case but if you are a little gentler you will be able to get it out without damage to the case or module.

Thanks for that info as I have a JR telemetry module on the way and the glue info will be useful as I intend to take the board out to install into a DX7. How did you go with the aerial? I am having doubts about how this is going to be installed. May need an extender cable?

Interested in how you go with this.

Cheers.
Lindsay

Postby BobAZ » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:24 am

Lindsay wrote:
pwy wrote:@BobAZ
I have today removed a FrSky JR module from the case. (Had to put it into a different case as the original one did not fit the old JR Apex transmitter.)

You are right, the circuit board is glued in and additionally it is a very tight fit. But the glue is only on two sides, gluing the board to the case and no glue on the underside. Tried with a knife blade down the side first but what worked in the end was to slightly bend the case with my fingers to the outside and "breaking" the glue.
If you are not worried about the case you can just use force and break the case but if you are a little gentler you will be able to get it out without damage to the case or module.

Thanks for that info as I have a JR telemetry module on the way and the glue info will be useful as I intend to take the board out to install into a DX7. How did you go with the aerial? I am having doubts about how this is going to be installed. May need an extender cable?

Interested in how you go with this.

Cheers.

Just use the DX7 antenna. Disconnect the wire coming off the RF module and connect the DX7 antenna wire. Be careful, there are a limited number of disconnects and reconnects for them.
BobAZ

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:28 am

Yep, Bob's right on the money.

I did a DX7 a while back and I just used the original antenna. Just make sure that when you're disconnecting the existing antenna lead from the Spektrum board that you pull it straight up using a pair of long-nose pliers. Try not to tilt it too much -- that's when they wear out double-quick.

I used a DIY kit in the DX7 I did and I left the original Spektrum RF board in place -- simply cutting the +/- and PPM signals, rerouting them to the FrSky board. This means that if the guy wants to later sell it as a genuine Spektrum DX7, it's just a case of pulling out the FrSky board, reconnecting the wires and switching the antenna back to the Spektrum board.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks