HobbyKing/HobbyCity

Have you had really good or really bad service from a supplier? Tell everyone here.

Re: HobbyKing/HobbyCity

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:30 am

I guess they figure you'll still buy most of the "small stuff" from HongKong and therefore they're trying to focus on bulky/heavy items for the Aussie warehouse. Kind of makes sense -- no point in filling the Aussie warehouse with small stuff that would be just as easily sold from the main operation.

I guess it also encourages people to spend more by filling up their boxes with stuff they might not have otherwise bought.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby AE25 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:18 am

made two orders recently (first time purchase from HK). both arrived with correct pieces and in good order. first package delayed a week due to back order. it still took them a week to actually send each parcel and another week for them to arrive. first one was EMS. 2nd one on registered air mail and took about the same time to arrive. tracking took a few days to show on hongkong post website and very basic. so only gripe so far is the time it takes from order confirmation to landing on doorstep. about 2 weeks from HK to auckland NZ.
In comparison, i made an order with himodel, it was sent the same day (within a couple hours), arrived 4 days after and i had up to date tracking the whole time via DHL website.
-Mark
warbird fan and old toyota's
AE25

Postby disco stu » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:57 am

I guess I will keep getting it all from Hong Kong I guess, only ever really one battery at a time

I much suspect that they send you the "package sent" email long before the thing is actually posted. I think they started doing this when they said they would get all packages out within 24hrs.
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah, I expect they print their own postage which also allows them to create the tracking number long before the item is actually transferred into the postal system.

Mind you, HongKong Post's tracking for registered mail seems to have tanked totally now -- with lots of folks finding that their consignments aren't even recognized *after* they've been delivered.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:37 pm

I have found that on the last order it was in australia by the time it even came up on tracking site. Current order was placed mid last week and not up yet.........Its the waiting thats the worst part :D
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 am

Anyone know what this postage option is:
Air Parcel (AUSTRALIA) 2000g - 2499g
. The turnigy 9x is in stock and wanting to get one while they are available. I normally just get the cheapest registered one, but its not an option there with this order. Thinking maybe this one is only for within australia
disco stu

Postby Flash1940 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:23 pm

I've been waiting for an order since October 15'th. No sign of it yet.....tracking is impossible.
One of my previous orders had Lipo batteries in it.....It ended up in Switzerland !

Flash
Flash1940

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 pm

Flash1940 wrote:I've been waiting for an order since October 15'th. No sign of it yet.....tracking is impossible.
One of my previous orders had Lipo batteries in it.....It ended up in Switzerland !

Yes, SwissPost is a nightmare and for some reason they route their packages through Zurich, even if that's thousands of miles out of the way.

Delivery times seem to be as much as 60 days for SwissPost consignments although a lucky few have reported times as low as 10 days.

It's a bit like the lottery I think.
RCModelReviews

Postby pushinoldrc » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:33 pm

I ordered a FrSky DIY module and some other small items a week ago to be shipped via registered airmail. I will let you guys know when I get it. I was wondering if anyone has an idea of where to get the receivers for these systems as HobbyKing has them backordered. The module doesn't do me any good if I can't get a receiver for it.
I received a tracking number for my shipment, but Hongkong Post is requesting an I(E)nquiry reference number. I just clicked OK, and it tells me that the tracking information is not available. Does that mean that it has not shipped yet?
Bryan
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Hong Kong post is suffering some major backlogs at the moment and registered airmail items can take up to a week to finally get into the tracking system (which means they sit around waiting to be scanned prior to departure).

My last order from HK took 6 days before it appeared on the tracking but was in my mailbox just 2 days after that.

As for other places you can buy FrSky receivers -- HiModel.com may have some in stock -- I haven't checked for a while but they do tend to have better stock levels than HK.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)