Hobby King

Had good or bad service from a supplier, online store or hobby shop? Share your experiences here.

How do you rate your satisfactioin with HobbyKing's service?

Excellent
21%
Good
46%
Average
9%
Fair
9%
Poor
15%

Total votes : 181

Re: Hobby King

Postby JBC » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:49 am

I had a case recently where I had a fairly big order (over $300 worth) and that was without a model. Part of my order included 6 receivers but I only received 5, I did the usual take photos of all items, packaging plus everything on the scales, I also got charged 1/5kg higher than what it weighed :x 2 days after I did all this I finally got a response and they wanted more pics! :shock: what the hell...why???? the ones I sent were big, fine and clear... but I did anyway. The problem was I had already used some of my order in my planes so I had to do a sneaky and make it look like everything was in the pic ;) Still however after, 4 emails and still no reference to the overcharging of postage :x only the missing rx. Again more days pass and they finally get back to saying that their warehouse manager has confirmed the RX was sent. I then wrote a very er....."constructive" email detailing to them that their warehouse manager was wrong, that I have spent ALOT of money with them (it's VERY well into the thousands)and that if I don't get a refund or another RX sent out I'll stop buying from them and issue a claims dispute with paypal. I also listed off about 7 or 8 other China and Non china based RC shops that have comparable and in some cases cheaper prices than HK and that if they didn't resolve this issue I'll be taking my money to them instead. About 3 days later I noticed my account mysteriously had gone up by roughly he amount of the missing RX :roll: however there was no email from them telling me of this, I just happened to notice it and put 2 and 2 together. Also still no mention about the postage being overcharged :( I only use HK when I have to now as I have a nice bookmark list slowly growing with other good online RC stores :D

So I guess even though I had to jump through hoops to get what was owed to me I try and look at the positive and that is in the end I got what was owed and overall the money I have saved as a result of HK's prices, I have been able to afford things I wouldn't normally be able to.

John

P.S I guess that's why this 'where to buy and not to buy' list is slowy but steadily growing, it has some great RC stores if anyone's given up on HK and is looking for alternatives.
Helping the glue industry, one crash at a time.....
JBC

Postby lexin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:38 am

Update.

HK admitted it's their fault but stuck to their policy of not sending missing items via EMS. Sucks, becos this is what I paid for and this mistake is no fault of mine. Furthermore, it was the Live Support that advised me to ship lipos via EMS only. I took the store credit option and ended up spending more on them. Chose to stick with EMS postage, though they assured me that lipos can be shipped via Registered mail now. Can't trust them. Anyway, I am also afraid that Registered mail may just take too long. Read horrible stories abt customers experience with Swisspost

Have decided to look beyond HK. Anyone has good recommendation for other sites that sell decent lipos with reasonable shipping. John's experience with on the receivers is terrible. HK's support forum is full of postings abt unhappy customers.

lexin wrote:Be warned : HK's policy on missing items

I recently ordered several items including 2 units of 2350maH 4s Lipos and Velcro and had them shipped via EMS. My packaged was delivered after 5 days but without the Lipos and Velcro. So, I followed the procedure for filing a missing item report and submitted it to them.

They have submitted my case to management for review and I am waiting for a reply. I requested for the missing items to be sent to me via EMS (this is what I payed for) and mine is a clear case of HK making a mistake with the packing. I sent them a photo with the Postage Slip from Speedpost Singapore indicating that the package weight is 0.4kg. My package weight should be at least 984g as indicated by the shopping cart on their system.

HK came back with this reply :

"Please be advised that due to company policy, we can only offer store credit or a replacement sent via registered air mail."

I am not sure how they will compute the store credit. Registered Post will not work in my case since lipos can only be shipped via EMS. I have been a HK customer since 2006 ad have made many orders with them and spent thousands. This experience is the worst and makes me wonder whether I should continue to deal with them. Does anyone here have a similar experience?
lexin

Postby pwy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:48 am

@lexin
Not sure where in the world you are but this place seems to have a good selection of LiPos with free worldwide shipping.
http://www.rclipos.com/
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby lexin » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:07 am

Pwy, thanks for your suggestion. I am in South East Asia. Looks like RClipos.com sell the better quality brands like TP and Hyperion. Anyone knows where to get similar quality and price like Rhinos sold by Hobbyking.

pwy wrote:@lexin
Not sure where in the world you are but this place seems to have a good selection of LiPos with free worldwide shipping.
http://www.rclipos.com/
lexin

Postby pushinoldrc » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 am

I noticed that HobbyKing had opened their US warehouse, and having never tried them before, I placed an order for a T-Rex 450SE Clone ($29.99 US) on Sunday, Oct. 3. The shipping was very reasonable, $8.82 for Priority service from USPS. To my amazement, the package arrived in my mailbox yesterday, Wednesday Oct. 6. The package was in great shape, and the kit was as nice as I have seen. (This is only my second SE). I will continue to look for more deals from the US warehouse.
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby jay-pheno » Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:44 am

ive not bought from them since they opened us warehouse .

but all my orders turned out fine ive bought , hk450 , turnigy 9x , motors, battiers ,etc,,, all working fine ,,
though thier shipping sucks , overcharges compared to other shops ive bought from that are in china an slower !
jay-pheno

Postby Ampair » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:21 pm

Well, in contrast to the lamentable delivery by Swiss POS (Cursed be their name), my order from Hobby King placed on the evening of the 23rd Oct arrived today (Midday, 27th Oct) Hongkong Post EMS. :D
I reckon that is pretty good, the order left the warehouse only 4 hours after I lodged it, and it contained a Li-Po too.
However, another order from HobbyKing placed on the morning of the 24th is still processing, the performance is a bit variable. :roll: (Yeah, I know, dreadful lack of planning on my part :oops: but at least both orders were within a couple of grams of the max shipping weight.)
Ampair

Postby disco stu » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:20 am

I've got an order placed on 23rd oct still processing. Its for turnigy 9x. Wondering if they showed them as in stock before they arrived, but if yours is the same then maybe they are just under the pump
disco stu

Postby pushinoldrc » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:12 pm

I got the package I ordered in the mail today, all components present and accounted for. The summary of order time to time received is as follows.
Date ordered: October 20, 2010
Date shipped: October 27, 2010
Date received: November 1, 2010
Total time in shipping at HK: 6 days,
Total time in transit: 6 days
All in all, I am extremely pleased with the shipping times.
I will, however, not order anything that is on back-order, as I have been watching certain items that seem to be out of stock for well over a month at a time.
Bryan
Landing is one aerobatic maneuver that MUST be perfected!
pushinoldrc

Postby lental » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:06 pm

I placed my first order with HK since last May when all my problems with them started. Ordered a HK450V2 helicopter for $29.95 on Oct. 26. I paid $1.00 extra for shipping ($8.82) to get USPS priority (1-3 day) mail from USA warehouse. Order shipped on 10-28 and arrived today (11-1). Helicopter is surprisingly high quality for the price with a lot of alloy. Rotorhead was pre-assembled saving much time. Only problem is that there are no assembly instructions and had to go to Align website to find manual. This is great performance from HK so long as I don't have any missing or broke parts. Apparently no parts are available from USA warehouse so probably, at the price, the smart thing would be to buy a second helicopter to use for parts. Of course, if you're a good pilot you probably won't need parts.
lental

PreviousNext

Return to Where to buy (and not to buy)