Compass Atom 500 Vs Trex 500

For helis powered by volts rather than fuel

Compass Atom 500 Vs Trex 500

Postby stevewashere » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:05 am

Well Im starting to do my home work on my next purchase and its looking more like a 500 / 550 size heli.

So Ive had a look at the Atom ( Was more like a dribble ) at 1 of the local hobby shops in Auckland at the Compass Atom 500, and another shop at the Trex 500, Mmm and both seem so nice Im a bit of a sucker for Carbon fibre.

Anyway the purchase will be after Xmas, but Im just looking and getting ideas and I thought what better way than a quick post here and then sit back and watch to see what people say.

Currently have a 450 trex clone and it just got a bit of a bash yesterday so now is a good time to start having a look at options
stevewashere

Re: Compass Atom 500 Vs Trex 500

Postby pwy » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:08 am

Too much choice these days ;)

The Trex is a solid performer and you can easily get help and parts.
The Compass is more like the outsider, good engineering and performance but not as common as the Trex.

Both helis will fly great but the reason I don't own a Trex 500 is because everyone else has a Trex ;)

Selecting helis is like selecting clothes. Some will buy the same their friends have, some will choose to be different. I tried to be smart and started first with the "standard" Trex but after the periods between the crashes have been getting longer I decided to follow my own preferences and buy the helis I really like.

If you can afford it, try bigger. I started with a Trex 450 and then moved up to a Trex 600 (which is now in a scale fuse) and then to a Mikado Logo 600.
The Logo is an outstanding heli and my all-time favourite. I thought it would be fun (and more economical) to have a 500 size heli and actually own two of them (Logo 400 and MSH Protos) and while they are both excellent helis I find I often leave them at home and only take the Logo 600 to the flying field. I really enjoy the power and presence of the bigger machine.

Currently I'm looking for my xmas present which will most likely be a Kasama Srimok 90E :P

My musings will probably not help you very much but the truth is that you will need to make the decision yourself. Most helis you can buy today will fly just fine so go out and look what you like most and buy it. It won't be your last heli so don't worry too much!
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Postby SimJen » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:27 pm

I love the look of the Atoms :), it'd be good to be different and not get a TRex.
I've got a HK450MT and loving it, used to have a TRex 450 and I can't really see any quality differences, it also flies the same.
If you want a biggie, Hobby King have the 500 clones cheap!!!!! http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... oduct=9975
and even the 600 is good value http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=10953
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby stevewashere » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:57 am

Yeah I've got the HK450 as well, but Ive heard a lot about and seen the Atom and it just rocks.

With the HK I use Trex parts and they are noticeably better and in some cases have lasted through the odd bash better than HK stuff which is what i seem to do a lot at the moment (Crash).

But Im hoping that Ill thrash the 450 to death and then get a bigger one, and Its time to see what the options are so yeah maybe a 600 size could be on the cards and possibly the 6HV .... who knows?

really Im sure ill be happy with either but Im sure some people will have experience with both and may have an opinion.

Anyway if anyone feels like adding their 5c worth I am more than happy to read and listen :) and if any thing this web site could do with a few more good threads
stevewashere

Postby SimJen » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:26 pm

i think the trex stuff is just way overpriced, but replacing some of the high wear items with trex stuff sure helps reliability. Mainshafts are quite soft on the HK's!
I'll be doing the same as you and getting a 500-600 size at some stage, i'll be doing it on the cheap though with hobbyking type products!
im really enjoying getting back into flying and hopefully some nice weather in the next few months will have me buzzing around a lot more!
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby stevewashere » Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:13 pm

Yeah i must admit, Im still looking at the HK500 / 600 as well but Im still some way off from a decision so who knows
stevewashere

Postby stevewashere » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:09 am

pwy wrote:Too much choice these days ;)

The Compass is more like the outsider, good engineering and performance but not as common as the Trex.

Both helis will fly great but the reason I don't own a Trex 500 is because everyone else has a Trex ;)

Selecting helis is like selecting clothes. Some will buy the same their friends have, some will choose to be different. I tried to be smart and started first with the "standard" Trex but after the periods between the crashes have been getting longer I decided to follow my own preferences and buy the helis I really like.

If you can afford it, try bigger. I started with a Trex 450 and then moved up to a Trex 600 (which is now in a scale fuse) and then to a Mikado Logo 600.
The Logo is an outstanding heli and my all-time favourite. I thought it would be fun (and more economical) to have a 500 size heli and actually own two of them (Logo 400 and MSH Protos) and while they are both excellent helis I find I often leave them at home and only take the Logo 600 to the flying field. I really enjoy the power and presence of the bigger machine.

Currently I'm looking for my xmas present which will most likely be a Kasama Srimok 90E :P

My musings will probably not help you very much but the truth is that you will need to make the decision yourself. Most helis you can buy today will fly just fine so go out and look what you like most and buy it. It won't be your last heli so don't worry too much!

Ive just had a look at the Srimock 90E and Yes it is a very fine looking heli ... OMG it nice :) hope you get it
stevewashere

Postby pwy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:28 pm

stevewashere wrote:
pwy wrote:Too much choice these days ;)

Ive just had a look at the Srimock 90E and Yes it is a very fine looking heli ... OMG it nice :) hope you get it

Servos and blades are waiting on my workbench and I have been told that kits should be entering the country by the end of this week. I will post some pics when it arrives :)
pwy

Postby stevewashere » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 am

Have you got any pics yet
stevewashere

Postby pwy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:53 am

Yep, see here.. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=590
pwy

Next

Return to Electric Power