Car Security

Chew the fat on any non-RC subject. It's a free-for-all but common rules of decency do apply so act like adults and don't embarrass yourself by trolling or cuss'n.

Car Security

Postby Olliemutt » Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:52 am

Hi, Would like your opinion on the idea of a car security system that could have a small camera with audio mounted near rear vision mirror, a GPS tracker, engine immobilizer and a way to use the central locking to close and lock shut so only way out is to break window. All to be able to run through something like a cellphone which could be operated via another cellphone. Want to be able to activate like a car alarm but by cellphone and save image and audio to my cellphone and also track the GPS location. And immobilize engine and lock doors by phone? Just brought a new car and had been at a friends place early on yesterday then later that night his friend had has truck stolen from just outside there kitchen, they were about 10 meters from it, he left keys in it :oops:

would it be PRICEY to do??

Thank you.
Olliemutt

Re: Car Security

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:09 am

It could be done -- but wouldn't it be easier not to leave the keys in the ignition? ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Olliemutt » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:10 am

Was thinking more for myself, would it be the expense to make or how difficult, that would be more of a worry?
He found his truck about 200m away at a soccer ground the next day, got it dusted for prints so hope they get the scumbags!!!
Olliemutt

Postby SimJen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:11 pm

most insurers wouldn't see it as a viable security system thats the only thing!
Unless it has a rating of some sort it would only be worthwhile if you don't own a sought after vehicle or you're not worried about paying extra....
My Sooby has a AVS system that gets me $100 off my premium! cheap enough too.
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby AE25 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:43 pm

there are a few different gps tracking devices available for cars already. unfortunately most of em require monthly fees for the tracking 'service'. If and when a product comes out (maybe already) that doesn't require ongoing costs, that can pin point the car's location or even capture video and stream it to a website or mobile, it'll save the owner heartbreak of a lost vehicle and ease the workload on police. I bet if it was priced under $500 it'd sell well! The price of gps gizmo's have been dropping quite a bit so here's hoping a product comes out that can help without the $1000+ price tag and ongoing fees. The police can't do diddly squat unless they happen to check a regn and find it stolen or car ends up abandoned somewhere. You just need some big friends and balls of steel :lol: jokes. I have no tolerance for car thieves, put it that way.
-Mark
warbird fan and old toyota's
AE25

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Or there are things like this:

Ultra Mini Real-Time GPS Tracker (GSM 900MHz/1800MHz/1900MHz), US$30.60 including shipping

Don't ya just love DealExtreme?
RCModelReviews

Postby AE25 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Don't ya just love DealExtreme?

not at the moment.. 3weeks and still waiting for my batteries :(
(edit: payment made 30/09/10, email recieved 11/10/10 saying shipped, HK mail says left HK 28/10/10, so 29days and counting!)
reading through the comments on that product.. it may only be a GSM bug rather than a genuine GPS positioining unit.. time will tell. I don't think anyone has recieved it yet.
-Mark
AE25

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Don't blame DX too much -- ChinaPost is grossly overloaded at present. It seems that the "direct purchase" model is working so well for Chinese businesses that they've run out of capacity in the mail system with the result that all mail out of China is grinding exceedingly slow right now.
RCModelReviews

Postby AE25 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:34 am

well it arrived today huraaa.
this gps tracker may be worth looking into.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22968
-Mark
AE25

Return to Non-RC