Does anyone make a "Servo Travel Adjuster" ?

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Does anyone make a "Servo Travel Adjuster" ?

Postby aesmith » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi,

I've seen servo reversers, and slower-downers, but I wondered if anyone had seen a device that would increase the travel of a servo. For example so that the servo moves through its whole range even though the signal from the receiver only represents a much shorter travel.

Thanks, TonyS
aesmith

Re: Does anyone make a "Servo Travel Adjuster" ?

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:17 am

I think thats a hack to do that, as the servo itself is limited to so many degrees (can't remember the figures though). Can't remember where I read it, but there was a similar one on a robotics website. The link may have come from on here. For some reason DIY RC electronics is ringing a bell for one of them
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:52 am

Here at RCModelReviews.com, you only have to ask and you will find
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:59 am

What about digital servo? Forgot they could be programmed (from the link added above):

Note: This product is not to be used with servos that offer more than 90° rotation from the factory or any brand of digital servos. Digital servo can be programmed electronically for 180° rotation.
disco stu

Postby aesmith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:13 am

RCModelReviews wrote:Here at RCModelReviews.com, you only have to ask and you will find

Brilliant ... and of course that's exactly why I asked here. FYI I want it for flaps, to get around silly limitations with my transmitter and allow the full servo range to be used (transmitter really wants the servo centred with flaps up, so only half the travel is available, and even then for some reason you can only move 30 degrees with switch programming).
aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:34 pm

Another thought .... would this make a sensible "First PIC Project" ? It seems to me one of the various servo reversing programs might be a good starting point.
aesmith

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 pm

It would be easy enough to program -- so long as you remember that software bugs tend to produce *real* crashes when they occur in software that controls part of your model ;-)
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby aesmith » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:It would be easy enough to program -- so long as you remember that software bugs tend to produce *real* crashes when they occur in software that controls part of your model ;-)

That's what I thought (well your first comment anyway). I've seen several examples of servo reversing code which would make a good starting point.
aesmith

Return to Radios and Servos