Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Re: Who wants some FPV reviews and articles?

Postby skyguy04 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:17 pm

Why not use the 1.3ghz systems like this one?

http://readymaderc.com/store/index.php? ... cts_id=205

I've heard 5.8 is too narrow and can easily be blocked by if you don't have LOS.
skyguy04

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:51 pm

5.8GHz is (slightly) more easily blocked by obstacles in LOS but on the other hand, for a given size, a 5.8GHz antenna can have much higher gain which helps to mitigate that. In fact, if you're using 2.4GHz you won't have guaranteed control when you're not LOS anyway.

My concern about 1.3GHz is that it's not legal in most places. Okay, if you're using 1.3GHz you're not likely to have black helicopters tracking you down and confiscating your model but the reason it's not legal is probably because there is something else using that frequency. What if that "something else" suddenly obliterates your FPV video signal when your model is out of visual range? You probably lose your model :-(

Also, looking at the system in that link -- it's *mondo-expensive*.

You get a camera, laser-cut ply camera-mount, receiver and some batteries.

No goggles, (apparently) no head-tracker, no hi-gain antennas.

It's certainly not a cheap way to do FPV.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby skyguy04 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Interesting. Well i definitely would prefer cheaper than $375. However, i do want decent quality. A big part of the fun is feeling like you are IN the airplane. Video quality can have a HUGE impact on that experience, good or bad.

I've seen some amazing videos in HD (720p). But I understand that those videos were not the FPV video uplink, but rather a second HD camera just recording the flight from the same view for playback later. Either way, i'm definitely interested in watching my flight on the big screen in high def.
skyguy04

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:48 am

Have received the 5.8Ghz tx and rx from Hi Model. First indications are that it is a well built unit, if a little vulnerable (ie the components are exposed on the tx..heatshrink needed..). Power for the camera is provided from the neat package, minimising wiring. The proof will be with a range test and what a test signal looks like. The rx has 2 x av outputs It is made by Foxtech and their site gives better details than the literature that comes with it from himodel.
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58g-2 ... p-179.html

Neil
Neil

Postby msev » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:33 am

Just to add to the list of "those interested"....Would like to hear more about FPV, maybe also in conjunction with the different quadrocopters (controller boards and so on)...
msev

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 pm

The writing of the FPV features and reviews is underway.

So far I've ordered (or received):

1 x FoxTech 5.8GHz video system
1 x FMA Co-pilot stability system
1 x FY21AP-II stability system with OSD/RTL

several cameras ($20 through $100) for comparison

and I'm currently looking for an affordable source of FatShark glasses (HK has them on pre-order but I've already spent most of my budget) and some "cheap" video-glasses to compare them with.

I'll also be looking at the various airframes such as the Axi Floater, the SkyWalker and the new HK FPV plane (when it's available).

Lots of work in this shootout -- and lots of money already spent buying all the stuff that needs to be reviewed/tested.
RCModelReviews

Postby lithoushine » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:00 pm

hey, it would be great if you could do something on 2.4ghz radios with 900mhz fpv setups. iv'e seen first hand how you will loose rc link but the video says fine until you hit the ground. i heard the 900mhz 1500mw transmitter could swamp the 2.4 receiver? thanks for any help. derek
lithoushine

Postby Ted Browning » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 pm

I'd be most interested. After a good few flights with an on board keychain camera, I'd like to be on-board to direct the action. There's a fair bit of gear out there. I've invested in a basic Fatshark 2.4 ghz setup. Aircraft radio is 36mhz, see there was a reason for keeping it! (looking for a camera still) and searching out a suitable aircraft to build (i'm not keen on foam as you sacrifice internal space). Seems to be I need a pusher (keep the nose free) or a twin. Looking forward to some thoughts from your site (Hobbyking FPV was most enlightening).
Ted Browning

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:02 am

I've spent part of the weekend working with the FPV stuff for the reviews/articles so I'll be rolling them out pretty soon.

The video reviews of the HobbyKing FPV model are on the RCModelReviews YouTube channel and I'll be posting more video this week and some web-page articles too.
RCModelReviews

Postby Asad » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:45 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:I've spent part of the weekend working with the FPV stuff for the reviews/articles so I'll be rolling them out pretty soon.

The video reviews of the HobbyKing FPV model are on the RCModelReviews YouTube channel and I'll be posting more video this week and some web-page articles too.

Cheers! That is good news. :lol:
Asad

PreviousNext

Return to FPV