My FrSky telemetry project

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Re: My FrSky telemetry project

Postby disco stu » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:08 pm

Don't know if varios are different where you come from, or maybe if they have changed in the time since i have flowm, but they were always steady tone for sink and beeping tone for lift, with the pitch and frequency of beeps increasing as the sink or lift increased (can you type sounds-I will try :D ) eeeeuuuueeeeeeeew, beeeeeeep beeeeeeep beeep beep beep beep beeeep beeeeeeeeep, eeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuuuw. That would going from sink to lift back to sink, and I'm pretty sure thats what Bruce said he was doing if I remember correctly
disco stu

Postby cantz506 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:03 am

I think you are right; i made confusion and maybe I misunderstood what Bruce said (I can't find his message any more).
Nevertheless, the matter is to know what each sound means!
cantz506

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:43 am

I'll probably ask for advice in respect to the tones.

Some have said they don't want any tone for sink (only a tone for lift) and others want as described in the previous posts.

I can set things up to offer user-selected options -- I just need to know what options people want.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby cantz506 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:38 am

RCModelReviews wrote:I'll probably ask for advice in respect to the tones.

Some have said they don't want any tone for sink (only a tone for lift) and others want as described in the previous posts.

I can set things up to offer user-selected options -- I just need to know what options people want.

Ok Bruce, nice solution! :D
What do you suggest for my EVO? Which one of the two external modules, or shall I wait for the DIY with telemetry?
Thank, Piero.
cantz506

Postby Bodmer » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Hi,

I experimented with the Somo14D sound module a while ago and it works really well, see results here:
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4796&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p16783

Clicks between words is an issue but there is a simple way of dealing with this as described in the post.

It does not replay MP3 files but the sound files can be created from the MP3 format.

Bodmer
Bodmer

EagleTree sensors

Postby pedrocca » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:28 pm

Hi!
Just a quick question... After this project is done, will it be possible to use EagleTree sensors, like CHT (I'm gasser), G-forces etc?
Thanks!!
pedrocca

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:30 pm

I'll see if I can reverse-engineer the Eagle-tree sensors to provide an interface for them -- but I've already allowed for a few extra analog and digital inputs that can be used for any purpose you want. For CHT you could use a cheap K-type thermocouple with a small amplifier and feed it into a spare analog input.
RCModelReviews

Postby jet760 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:30 pm

Good to see another not so weekly news video. but ahhhh, nothing about the telemetry project!
jet760

Postby Frizzer1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:48 am

I've been quietly following this project for some time and am a VERY interested sailplane driver who has suffered through the indignity of losing a plane. So, the telemetry project, with GPS and a Variometer are exciting to think about. I'm anxiously waiting for the DIY "little boards" that are being promised to get here, but doing buying and a little research along the way, also. I have a question about the variometer that is planned in that the current thought is to use the MPL115A Barometer chip as the sensor. The data sheet for that device quotes a pressure resolution of 0.15 kPa. If I did the math correctly, this turns out to be equivalent to something like 43 feet at sea level. I'm sure you have a scheme to overcome what looks like an incompatibility and I'm curious what your thought is on this.

Thanks for tackling this really fun project. It is also encouraging to see there are so many waiting for the result.
Frizzer1

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:22 am

Yes, I noticed that *after* I bought a couple of samples :-(

I was going to use the SCP1000 which is a larger and more-expensive device but they're about to go out of production soon.

That leaves the BMP085 which as a resolution of 0.01 hPa which is more than 2 orders of magnitude greater than the MPL115A so should offer around 250mm of resolution at sea level.

I've reworked the layout and am waiting for the new devices to arrive.
RCModelReviews

PreviousNext

Return to Telemetry