charger for turnigy 9x

Helicopter-specific issues relating to the electronics in your bird

charger for turnigy 9x

Postby sytamra » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:50 am

I have this transmitter ordered, but It doesn't come with a charger.........I want to use nicads. Which is + and -, inside, outside and what voltage and amperage are suitable?
Thanks
ba
sytamra

Re: charger for turnigy 9x

Postby sytamra » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:37 am

Anybody?

I just need an appropriate charger to plug into the charging port.
ba
sytamra

Postby SimJen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 am

I think it has a diode so if you get the polarity of it wrong it won't blow anything.
For Nicads depends on the MAH of the cells, but I think the factory JR/Futaba chargers charge at something like 125ma and around 12v or so.
my clone build blog including setup tips for the Turnigy 9x
http://rcheli-blog.blogspot.com/
SimJen

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:58 am

The 9X has the same polarity as the Hitec and Futaba radios -- negative to the outside, positive to the inside of the connector.

I have used a Hitec charge lead successfully -- I don't know if the Futaba would work because it has a different sized pin in the middle and may not fit properly.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby sytamra » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:56 am

Gentlemen, I thank you. I presently have numerous chargers for cordless phones, coffee makers, you name it and the one I use for the HK 7x TX is 12v 200mha and is positive on the center pin......I think it will work just fine for the Turnigy 9x as well. I just dreaded the thought of pluging it in and letting the smoke come out of the wires and circuit boards.
New Turnigy will be here tomorrow and I will feel pretty confident in this setup.
Man, that radio is fantastic for $55.00!!!
Many people have said they would not invest the money in something like that cause it's too inexpensive to be able to do the job, and If I were doing contest 3D, neither would I, but flying around the property and chasing off the deer from the garden and other simple leisure flying I think it will do just fine. Now I can experiment with expo and the like.
By the way, I have the Phoenix sim on the way and will hopefully hone the basic skills without giving the hobby shops all of my disposable income!
Thanks again
Bryan
sytamra

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:27 am

Are you sure those are chargers and not just power-packs?

If you're planning to use NiMH batteries in your 9X the charger needs to be able to sense when the batteries are fully charged and then shut off -- or they will overheat and be damaged -- possibly even melting the plastic case of your 9X with the 2.4W of power that's involved.

There is no charger circuitry built into the 9X -- the charge connector simply connects your external charger to the battery.

You'd be far better advised to use one of the cheap 4-button multi-chemistry chargers that can be had for $40 or so than try and re-use one that's simply not designed for the purpose.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby sytamra » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:36 am

I will check on that..........Thanks for the head's up
Bryan
sytamra

Return to Radios, Gyros, Servos