ER9x FW and eePe EEPROM Editor

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: ER9x FW and eePe EEPROM Editor

Postby erezra » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:15 am

errmmm... The only this you really need is a programmer.

There are a couple of FW available. look here to see a summery:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... ostcount=1

eePe is also not essential. You can use Winavr but eePe does make things simpler for those who just want to use the FW.

So to make thing simpler - once you have your programmer installed. Download eePe an the latest revision of the FW of your choice. Use eePe to "burn" the FW to your tx.
There are a couple of tutorials on the er9x homepage that are worth reading. They will make your life easier :)

Feel free to ask a question here if you get stuck.
Erez
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks for that Erezra. I have had a read of those tutorials, but reading another today i think it all clicks alright.

I have no real electronics experience. Have soldered a few resistors etc, pulled a few components off and thats about it. (have soldered heaps of other stuff of course, just not electronics). Do you think this would be above my skills and I am greatly at risk of stuffing it up? I'm generally pretty careful (read perfectionist) and battle through most problems I come accross (sounds like a job application!), just for a little background of my abilities
disco stu

Postby erezra » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:17 pm

It's really more intimidating than hard. If you work slowly, plan and just be careful it's not so hard.

Still, there's even a better solution!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338412
erezra

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:23 pm

Cheers for that. I can't access RC groups at work, but I'm assuming its the board thing that sits in there with the backlit screen. If so, I am happy to do the soldering and what not, but will have another look at that screen
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:54 am

Parts are on the way to put the custom firmware on. Its all sparks from here........hoping not

One question on the "gounded iron" stated to be used. Is one able to "ground' a non grounded iron? Not sure if it has to go to the earth plug on the wall socket or if its similar to just touching the case when putting a computer together, and I could run a wire from the screw holding the tip in down to metal plate under the transmitter or something similar? Any ideas if possible
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:18 am

Mate just bought a new iron today and I had a look at it. Checked resistance from tip to the earth plug in the socket with his crapola multimeter. It was showing 0.6ohm touching the 2 "probes" or whatever they are called (as in shouldn't be any resistance), and taking this off whatever reading through the iron it gave me around 0.0-0.2ohm cold, and when hot I got only slightly more at around 0.0-0.3ohm. As you can tell, his mulitmeter leaves just a little to be desired. I thought I read somewhere that a proper grounded soldering iron should have around 1ohm resistance when hot. How does this iron sound??
disco stu

Postby erezra » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 am

I really wouldn't know what to say.

I don't use a grounded iron. I make sure that the battery is disconnected and that I'm static free. Never had a problem.
erezra

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks, I think I will be fine then. I thought it was your instuctions to use a grounded iron....Might be wrong though. Cheers
disco stu

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:49 am

I don't worry too much about ESD (electrostatic discharge) because I take basic steps when I work to reduce the risk.

I always ground myself (by touching a grounded surface) before I pick up any ESD-sensitive equipment and I don't do anything silly (like wear nylon socks with no shoes in a room with a woolen carpet -- or v/v).

I've never zapped anything yet and haven't even had any failures that could be attributed to minor ESD damage during construction.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:06 am

Sounds like I'll be fine on the grounding side. Hope the rest of it is the same :?
disco stu

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks