The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Re: The TFR8 FASST-compatible Chinese receiver

Postby Ralph.R » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:47 am

antenna.jpg
antenna.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 27686 times
Ralph.R

Postby Ralph.R » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:52 am

Hi

Picture above,the 2 on each end are OK (i Assume ) and are there as comparison
Ralph.R

Postby kneedrag » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:53 pm

The unsheilded bits at the end need to be 33mm long.

Those have defiantly been killed by something.
kneedrag

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm

kneedrag is correct... the shortened ones are *not* right.

Can you email me a copy of the email you received that said they were cut for RF matching?

Who was the email from? FrSky or one of their dealers?
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Ralph.R » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:27 pm

The 10 recievers were bought from HobbyKing
I have sent you a copy of the email they sent me from their customer support
They have not replied to my further query regarding the ends not being stripped of sheilding
Ralph.R

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:48 pm

HobbyKing don't know their elbow from their ****.

I don't know who their "engineer" is but I suspect (based on the quality of his reply) his main job is sweeping the floors.

If you buy from HobbyKing you get *cheap* prices but the price you pay is that they don't provide technical support or (even worse), the advice and support they provide is totally wrong -- as in this instance.

Imagine if you'd gone ahead and put one of those receivers with the bad antennas into an expensive model and flown it to its destruction... Would HK have paid for the loss caused by their bad technical advice? I think not.

I'm all for cheap prices -- but it's also important for people to remember that cheap does not always mean "value".

I'll be taking this matter up with HK to see what they have to say for themselves.
RCModelReviews

Postby disco stu » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:33 pm

Brings up a good question I have been wondering for a bit.

With the stripped ends on the 2.4ghz gear, why is that not neccesary on 36mhz and the like? Is the insulation different, or the 2.4ghz frequency is more affected by that insulation....

Also, is the idea of the cable stuff just so that it can be routed easier to the outside? I always thought diameter didn't afftect aerials
disco stu

Postby Ralph.R » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:41 pm

Am I correct in thinking that the actual length of these antennas is not as critical ,as is the case with 35 mhz gear
Ralph.R

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:57 pm

Ralph.R wrote:Am I correct in thinking that the actual length of these antennas is not as critical ,as is the case with 35 mhz gear

In theory, having the correct length of cable reduces the effect of any mismatch between the receiver's impedance and that of the antenna itself.

In practice, that effect is usually negligible -- so do a range check and so long as you're within 10% of the other receivers -- go fly!
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:59 am

As the NZ agent for FrSky I can assure you they have never arrived from the factory with snipped antennas like that here, and I doubt they left FrSky in that condition.

I suspect HK had a damaged box an instead of checking them out just snipped and shipped. You can get replacement antenna's from your local agent. If HK does not help you out let me know and I will organize that FrSky contacts you directly. If you are in NZ let me know and I will help you out. I will direct FrSky to this thread so that they are aware of this.

On a side note there will be a new rx out at about the end of this month which will plug into the standard rx and expand it to a 14chan rx.

Let me know if you want more info and I will dig up the details for you.
kneedrag

PreviousNext

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers