Turnigy 9x aileron quit working!!!

Helicopter-specific issues relating to the electronics in your bird

Turnigy 9x aileron quit working!!!

Postby sytamra » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:36 pm

I recently received the turnigy 9x and got it set up on the HK 500, but have not flown it yet. I hooked it up to the Phoenix sim and got it working just fine as well. Last nite, the aileron quit working! Aileron does not move in the "display" menu, or on the sim. I set it back too the HK 500 and the aileron is inoperative on it as well.
Hate to take it apart for warranty reasons, but I don't want to send it back and wait another couple of months for a replacement. Can someone tell me or show me a picture of what I should look for and test if I take it apart?
Thanks
Bryan
sytamra@msn.com
sytamra

Re: Turnigy 9x aileron quit working!!!

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:20 pm

Go to the status screen (MENU-->SETTING-->DISPLAY) and see if the bar for the aileron channel moves. Does it?

Most problems with the 9X can be traced back to either bad soldering or improperly seated connectors on the main circuit board.

You can remove the back of the radio and carefully inspect the soldered joints where the wires join onto the stick-units -- give each one a little prod and make sure it's actually connected. Also press on the white connectors that join the wires to the main circuit board to ensure they're properly seated.

Let us know what you find.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby sytamra » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 pm

OK, the black wire to the little circuit board was disconnected at the solder point. I tried to gently get it soldered back in place and the solder evidently went thru and connected itself to the white wire next to it. This is the 1/2" by 1/2" board connected to the pot itself. IF I can get that entire board off, can the wires be directly soldered to the pot, or am I screwed?
Thanks
ba And, NO, the display did not move for aileron, but yes for all others.

That board looks like something to make assembly easier, or is there something on the underside I can't see? Seems like going straight to the pot connectors may solve this?
sytamra

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure that the boards are there to make it easier for assembly. I'll have a look and confirm when I get to my workshop later today (in a few hours).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby sytamra » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:23 pm

Thanks, and upon closer inspection, (if my suspicions are correct) there are 3 more places to solder to that are farther apart, and maybe a dremel cuttoff tool could be used to cut that board, and resolder the wires to the other locations without fear of the solder flowing between the segments that are so close together. I really like the TX and it's features, so don't want to scrap it, but the time and expense to send it back is more than it's cost.
Thanks again!!!
ba
sytamra

Postby sytamra » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:51 am

Guys, I did just that........whacked off the portion of the circuit board that had those wires SO close together, resoldered them to the points that had some space, and everything is OK now. On closer inspection, the wire that came loose had only 2 strands of wire attached, and these wires move with every stick movement. Glad it happened on the simulator!!!!!!!
I'm still leary of the soldering job done by the workers, but after looking closely, I don't find any other solder joints that are suspect. I now have complete confidence in this TX again.
ba
sytamra

Postby Rebeltrousers » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:06 am

Job well done! Might be worth checking mine before the 450 gets a go...
Rebeltrousers

Return to Radios, Gyros, Servos