Quality 2.4 ghz Radio with fewer channels, lower price

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Quality 2.4 ghz Radio with fewer channels, lower price

Postby elkbugle » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 pm

RC sailboat racing is growing dramatically in the US. The vast majority of sailboats use only 2 channels, sometimes 3. Therefore paying for 2.4 ghz radios that are designed primarily for airplanes with much higher number of channels, is not getting the best value. I have purchased and used the following systems: Spektrum DX 6i, and DX 5e, Hobby King 4, and an Aero-Sport 5. The DX 6i ($200), with its rate adjustment capability, has been a good radio with only minor failures (2 years use). The DX 5e ($100) has numerous accounts of insufficient rate (and no adjustment) so that a servo stretcher ($20) is the only means to adjust the servos to the full range of motion required. Same is true with the HobbyKing 4 ($28) and this radio is not well supported. My latest radio test is the Aero-Sport 5 ($59) by Airtronics. So far, this is the best value radio for RC sailing that I have seen, yet it is still a 5 channel unit. So considering the needs of the RC sailing crowd - does anyone know of a reliable radio system for a lesser price.

BTW, pistol grip transmitters do not work for RC sailing, we need two-stick configuration. Other important features are TX charge jack, small receiver (no satellite), rachet left stick, one-year warranty, US service station.

This message from Steve at SailRC.com, who imports several of the most popular RC racing sailboats for US distribution.
elkbugle

Return to Radios and Servos