ER9x FW and eePe EEPROM Editor

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Re: ER9x FW and eePe EEPROM Editor

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:26 am

Its action time. I have the goodies I need-got this programmer plus a male and female connector to go on it in case I need them.

Seems I will have to cut the cable and just solder one of end directly to the board, and pull it out when I need to use it. Thinking of even having it inside and unscrewing the back panel when I need it-I can't see myself doing this very often.

As I don't have a nice pretty coloured cable like in the ER9X instructions ( I have this one, can see a larger image to see what I'm talking about), and I don't have a female connector on the end to show the arrow (only the one that plugs in to it), would the side of the cable with the pink line on it be the side that goes on with the arrow/the side with the brown wire in the ER9X instructions??

I'm nervous about stuffing this up, so I'm just double checking everything.
disco stu

Postby erezra » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:51 pm

You could conceivably solder it in and use a USB cable to hook it up each time.
This approach has some merits:
1) Short wires between programmer and board. This is good because it allows for faster and more secure connection.
2) Easily connect to any computer via a simple USB-USB cable.

I do suggest you have the option to hook-up with the radio closed. With the rapid updates and the ability to edit EEPROMs on a computer through eePe it has been shown that such a connection is a good idea.
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Postby disco stu » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Thats asuming I don't fry my radio :D I will hook it up as you say, you obviously know more. I just don't have the ability to mount it in behind like in your instructions so its flush, cause there is no mounting points on the female connector. Bit of playing and I will have it sorted, but that part doesn't worry me as it won't let the smoke out.

Does the pink line same side as brown in your instructions sound correct?
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:01 pm

In the middle of soldering this all up. Seems to be some confusion as to the pin out on some of the programmers, as the one I am using has different wire order to what was given in the ER9X flashing instructions. Maybe that rainbow coloured cable and header is wired a different way???

So just a wee warning to anyone else doing this-check the pin out in the manual for your programmer and follow this to hook up.
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:27 am

Well, I've soldered the cable up and mounting the connector.

Just wanted to point out a few things for others doing this with IDC connectors who arn't up on this sort of thing. The cable wires can be numbered from the red coloured side (you will see on one side of your 10 pin ribbon cable) as 1 through to 10 at the other end. This will make life a lot easier when soldering to a male IDC plug, it too me a while to figure this out.

Your programmer should have the pins on the IDC input labelled, and this will help you know what your doing with your connector. One of the instruction for flashing the firmware for the 9x has the connector the other way around to normal (I expect just labelling the wire side of the connector). Google the connector pinout and it will give you the numbers to follow, and the wires numbered as above follow this. Check all the links given in the ER9X page and you will find some good pictures that label all the pads to solder to according to the pinout from the programmer, rather than the colours as given in the ER9X flashing instructions.

I will try and post the pictures that helped me when I get a chance, then its time to see if my Tx still works and try and flash it :twisted:
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:18 pm

These are the images that I have found helpful if you arn't using exactly what is in the ER9X instructions (and can't read German for the TH9X!).

atmel_6-10pin.JPG
connector pins-side to solder to is other side
atmel_6-10pin.JPG (46.66 KiB) Viewed 17222 times

With the 10 pin IDC connector, you are looking at the side of the male connector that the famale plugs in to, so the wires get plugged on the other side (make sure you still get the order correct). You wil also need to plug in a femal connector to solder the wires on without the plastic melting and getting things out of alighnment. I double and triple checked the wiring order to make sure it was correct, as things were different with commonly available ribbon cable and IDC connector than with the ER9X instructions. I have numbered the ribbon cable in next image to show how the numbering goes-1 through to 10.

progwiring.jpg
numbers refer to wire and pin number and this will show the same functions as the other circuit board image when compared to pin functions as given in first image
progwiring.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 17222 times

Comparing the numbers on the numbered one with the IDC pin out, will show what each pad is for, which is confirmed with the other image and shows what wire to connect to it.

turnigy9x_pcb.jpg
Shows the functions of each pad
turnigy9x_pcb.jpg (244.59 KiB) Viewed 17222 times

Hope this is helpful to someone and save a bit of stuffing around
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:21 am

Double post
Last edited by disco stu on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
disco stu

Postby disco stu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:25 am

Its alive :twisted: Just wanted to pass on a thanks to Ezerra for putting all this up, and to the TH9X guys and all that too. Your tutorials were very helpful, along with the eepee to load it on. Was all very easy and so far havn't hit any snags. Now just having a play with the menus and trying to figure everything out, along with the manual of course.

Seems pretty easy to use so far, the manual made it sound harder I thought. All pretty intuitive so far.

One question: is there any way to make the keys less sensitive or have to hold them longer? They seemed harder to press with the original firmware, but now I keep skipping one menu as it jumps along a bit too quick and I have to go back and do it again. Had to do the stick calibration a few times due to this. Not a big issue though, I will get used to it eventually

2nd question: How does the 8 extra channels work (8 through to 16)? And does it need a 16ch reciever, or buddy up 2 rx?
disco stu

Postby erezra » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:10 pm

It seems a lot of people have trouble with this.
I'll make them a bit slower.
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Postby disco stu » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:47 pm

Even more impressed with the firmware after a good play with it. Was able to change the channel output so its the same as the JR, and can now buddy it up for my son to use. Thanks again for the effort you put in
disco stu

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks