Hacking the 9x receiver

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Hacking the 9x receiver

Postby erezra » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:14 am

Hi guys,

I want to hack the 9x's receiver. This could lead to failsafe, more secure communication and reduced latency.

Need help identifying the main chip:
9x receiver by erezraviv, on Flickr

Any ideas?
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Re: Hacking the 9x receiver

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:57 pm

This is an unusual component -- no sign of it in my datasheet books or on the Web.

It's obviously an MCU but no sign of the manufacturer's logo/branding.

I think the easiest/quickest way to add failsafe to this receiver would be by way of an external FS circuit.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby erezra » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 pm

The idea is not just add failsafe but get better communications between the rx and tx.
Lower latency, PCM, etc...
!!! BEWARE - WE ARE IN THE AIR !!!
http://www.eraviv.com
erezra

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:58 am

That's a *lot* of work - especially considering that if this is some previously unheard of MCU, there probably won't be any free compilers or other tools available to make writing code for it easy.

You'll also have to disassemble the existing code if you want to reverse-engineer what they're doing. Writing from scratch would be easier -- but don't underestimate the amount of time/effort involved in such things.

And then (knowing Murphy's law) you'll probably find that the chip doesn't have enough EEPROM to save failsafe settings or anything other than a GUID during the bind process.

Good luck if you can do it though.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks