The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:07 pm

Heather wrote: Spektrum has issued recalls for Rx's that did not meet design specs is another example.

Yet they still refuse to acknowledge the bad run of AR500s and the DSM2 adjacent channel issues :roll:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby kneedrag » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:31 am

Yip Heather however reading my post I perhaps did not word it correctly. Futaba did what a good manufacture should and issued a notice and recalled the affected products once they had a fix for it. In both cases a conflicting GUID should not have happened but it did and it can happen to anyone. Mistakes Friday batches etc can and do happen no matter how much we don't want them to.

The point is no one is perfect mistakes happen.

The test will be how does FrSky fix the issue? They have acknowledged the issue and now working away at finding a way to fix it.

I presume you are referring to Futaba? If so there was only 1 actual GUID clash confirmed in the US. Yes a small number of 7 channel modules 7C & 6EX radios had the manufacturing error but once the issue was identified by returning the suspect units to Futaba and advisory was released and a GUID checker made and sent to dealers so they could check other radios. On the contrary I believe that other manufacturers take issues like this very seriously on the first proven occurance and do take steps to fix. Spektrum has issued recalls for Rx's that did not meet design specs is another example.
kneedrag

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 am

Roger

Postby kneedrag » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:01 am

Sound similar to the issue that Dale was having on Parkflyers. Only happened with the 4ch's. Ended up being the tx antenna was faulty.

Roger wrote:has anyone heard of this before?
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... t=0#p18776
kneedrag

Postby peril » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:03 pm

Frsky technical advise doing a range check in reduced power mode and suggest that if you get 15mtrs then the receivers should be all fine.

I get the same range from mine using the V8R4, 27 paces to fail, that is over 15m. Flew in slope a glider as far as I dared with the lift considerations (probably 200m) and no issues.

Might be normal or we both have faulty ones ;)

Anyone else got experiences with these we can compare?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit

Just range checked low power again, about 30 paces. Then removed antenna from Tx and walked towards the plane 15 paces with no response, replaced the antenna and all go again. This confirms the antenna is 'defiantly' working AOK on my Tx.

Based the info re 15 meters range, mine seems on spec for a 4ch Rx.
EF1 Rox
peril

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:06 pm

I must admit that I've not tested my 4-channel receivers in the range-test mode, mainly because I'm still using an older version of the modules that didn't have the same level of power reduction that now ships.

However, I regularly fly my DLG to the limits of visibility (in fact I nearly lost it three times a couple of weeks ago because it was so far away that I lost sight of it) and had no range issues at all.

The only time I've encountered any kind of issues with the 4-channel was when I used one in an FMS Alpha One EDF. In that model I'd get momentary lockouts -- but I'm sure that was due to the receiver placement and the large battery, ESC and raft of other wiring. I swapped the 4-channel for an 8-channel and had no more problems. Then I used the same 4-channel in another model and it was also fine.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby funtana » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Low power range check sounds about the same as mine but i have flown it in a 48inch span flying wing to the limits of my vision, not had any lockouts or failsafes
funtana

Postby indyjem » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 pm

Above post references removing the antenna during range check, I though this was very bad for RF deck, 2.4 or 72 etc. Is this not the case?

Any update on GUID issue from Frsky?
indyjem

Postby kneedrag » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:36 am

No update from FrSky yet but I am overdue my regular chat with Eva. Will catch her when I am home this evening hopefully and see what the progress is.

Also yes you should not power up a tx without the antenna. I have seen it been done with no bad after effects but in theory it should not be done.
kneedrag

Postby peril » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:55 am

Yes, usually if you leave it that way for a long time it may damage it, but for a short period it proved a point and we need not check that again now. I'm the kind of guy that will brave it, a calculated and educated risk assessment was applied, but thanks for the pointer as others may not have known the potential risks.

It appears the newer FrSky hacks test at around 25-30 paces on reduced output with the 4ch Rx, a point of reference for others has now been established.
EF1 Rox
peril

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos