Turnigy/FlySky.iMax 9X 2.4GHz RC system

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

Turnigy/FlySky.iMax 9X 2.4GHz RC system

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 am

This review can be found at: http://rcmodelreviews.com/imax9x.shtml

Comments, questions and feedback on this review can be left in this topic
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Turnigy/FlySky.iMax 9X 2.4GHz RC system

Postby pm-peixoto » Sat May 29, 2010 1:47 am

Hello,

I bought a Turnigy 9X radio.

On the back of the radio I can see 5 pins (for the module). Where are - , + and signal ? Could be pins 4, 3 and 5 (from down to up)

Regards.

Paulo
pm-peixoto

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 29, 2010 2:00 am

This is an (almost) JR-compatible module connector.

The pins are (from memory)

1. antenna (not used with 2.4GHz)
2. ground
3. +V (9.6V usually)
4. 6V on a genuine JR (but ground on the FlySky 9X)
5. PPM signal
RCModelReviews

Postby pm-peixoto » Sat May 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info !!! :D
pm-peixoto

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:42 am

It's worth noting that the latest batch of Turnigy 9X (FlySky 9X) radios from HobbyKing have a partially hardwired module installed.

These radios have had the telescopic whip replaced with a 2.4GHz antenna (good) and that antenna is connected to the module by a cable that passes inside the radio then out through a hole (rather crudely) drilled in the module compartment then through another hole (also rather crudely drilled) in the module itself.

This means that if you want to fit another module (FrSky, FlyDream, Corona, Assan or whatever) then if it's soldered directly to the PCB inside the module, you'll have to unsolder it or cut it to remove the module itself.

Unless they've changed the FlySky RF system significantly, it's probably the least capable 2.4GHz system on the market -- being single-frequency and (once turned on) non-agile. What's more, additional (V2) receivers look to be the same price (or more) as many of the far more capable options.

Should I buy one of these radios and retest the 9X/FlySky system to confirm all this? (not that I need yet another transmitter cluttering the place up).
RCModelReviews

Postby F111 John » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 pm

RCModelReviews wrote:Unless they've changed the FlySky RF system significantly, it's probably the least capable 2.4GHz system on the market -- being single-frequency and (once turned on) non-agile. What's more, additional (V2) receivers look to be the same price (or more) as many of the far more capable options.

Seeing as the new V2 transmitters are no longer compatible with the older receivers, I'd say that yes, they did change the FlySky RF system significantly. Further, since the receivers no longer have diversity reception via either a dual antenna system or a satellite receiver, somebody should test the RF system with their Spectrum Sniffer to see what's what.

FlySky also has a V3 system that is so far only been seen on their 2.4 GHz land radios (for cars and boats.) The V3 also isn't compatible with the V1 or V2 transmitters, but does include failsafe in the receiver. This may point to yet another change in the near future for these Flysky/Hobby King/Turnigy/etc. radios.

What was once their greatest appeal, a range of very affordable radio tramsmitters in 4, 6, and 8 channels, combined with dirt cheap 6 channel receivers available from multiple sources, is now rapidly turning into a jumble of confusion.

In other words, Progress!
F111 John

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:47 pm

F111 John wrote:What was once their greatest appeal, a range of very affordable radio tramsmitters in 4, 6, and 8 channels, combined with dirt cheap 6 channel receivers available from multiple sources, is now rapidly turning into a jumble of confusion.
In other words, Progress!

It's just a shame that so many Chinese manufacturers seem to be completely oblivious to the importance we, the consumers, place on things such as clearly labeled and documented versions -- so that we know what works with what.

A little Western "market savvy" would help many Chinese companies do a lot better than they are right now.

Some listen to advice, others (like FlySky) really don't seem to care.

When I think of what FlySky could do if they realized how much *more* money they could make by lifting their game a little it makes me feel somewhat sorry for them.
RCModelReviews

Postby pm-peixoto » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:57 am

Hello,

Can I use the same cable for Realflight simulator between JR and Turnigy 9X radio?

Thanks. :D

Paulo
pm-peixoto

Postby stevewashere » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:54 am

pm-peixoto wrote:Hello,

Can I use the same cable for Realflight simulator between JR and Turnigy 9X radio?

Thanks. :D

Paulo

Ive just tried out Phoenix 2.5 on mine and it worked very easily
stevewashere

Re: Turnigy/FlySky.iMax 9X 2.4GHz RC system Frimware upgrade

Postby stevewashere » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:03 am

On a slightly different note I came across this on a forum

http://code.google.com/p/th9x/

people are writing new firmware for the TG9x/ Imax etc...

I thought It might be of interest to those people that are willing to make a firmware change to the 9x, if your is like mine it has some good Chingrish, and a few things could be a bit easier.

Interested to see if anyone NZ tries this out, and Im sure there are a few people contemplating new firmware?
stevewashere

Next

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers