Soldering Lipo Battery Tabs

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Soldering Lipo Battery Tabs

Postby barkster » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:43 am

I was pointed to this forum from hobbyking.... I'm trying to repair a dead cell on my new turnigy battery and after splitting the cells apart and unsoldering the tabs I cannot for the life of me get the solder to stick to the tabs. They were spot welded and only one of the cell tabs had solder on and the other was spot welded so when I tried to solder to me cell it won't stick. I've tried liquid and paste flux and 3 types of solder and none stick. Someone said they use aluminum solder. Any suggestions on how to salvage my battery. I hate to throw away 4 good cells cause I can't get them soldered together. This is the second battery I've had to repair and got lucky on the first.
barkster

Re: Soldering Lipo Battery Tabs

Postby pwy » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:02 am

Yep, done that. The tabs are really some sort of aluminium and you will need special aluminum solder. I got something called Alu-Sol http://www.multicoreaustralia.com.au/in ... 905.645023 and this worked fine.
Google will help you find something equal in your part of the world.

Tip: Works even better if you brush off the oxidation layer first with a small steel brush.
The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys!
pwy

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)