Brushed to brushless motors

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Brushed to brushless motors

Postby karl1 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:38 pm

HI -- The question that I have is how can you tell the difference between a brushed motor and a brushless motor? I am having a problem hooking up a brushed esc and what I believe is a brushed motor. The motor won't run and I am reading 6 +vdc at esc motor leads with 7.4 vdc battery connected to esc. Any help will give me something to work with. Thanks -- Karl1
karl1

Re: Brushed to brushless motors

Postby RobC » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:58 pm

simples - a brushed motor has two connectors, a brushless three
RobC

Postby S-rob » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 am

Best start is to download manuals for the esc & motor: try google or post up exactly what you have
Motor may be faulty or have worn out brushes. Try connecting a single/two 1.5v D size batt to the motor & see if that runs it

some (brand new) escs may not want to run the motor untill you go through the setup procedure,
You may hear beeping or see a flashing LED.
Other escs wont fire up unless the transmitter is turned on with throttle all the way off ( a safety thing)
Esc may have a lipo cutout enabled thats set to less than the voltage of your batt

Brushless motor will have 3 wires coming out of it.
May not run if these 3 wires are not connected to correct 3 wires on esc (labled A B C), or may just run backwards
S-rob

Postby karl1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:17 pm

Hey Guys -- Thanks to both Rob-C and S-rob for your reply, the info did help, I was successful getting things to work. Thanks again -- Karl1
karl1

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)