JR DSMJ FHSS module and receivers

Discussion on the reviews of 2.4GHz radios, modules and receivers that have appeared on RCModelReviews..com

JR DSMJ FHSS module and receivers

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:58 am

I finally got my hands on a DSMJ system to test/review.

Looks to be a lot more resilient than DSM2 under adverse conditions -- which is good.

It's a shame that Horizon don't offer an upgrade from DSM2 to DSMJ -- it would help bring them into line with all the other systems that offer FHSS rather than "pick and stick" DSSS.

The DSMJ system is short on features but delivers on resilience.

I was quietly impressed -- it's better than I thought it would be.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: JR DSMJ FHSS module and receivers

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:15 pm

JR initially made a strategic mistake of adopting Spektrum system for its 2.4 SS radio.
JR should have just sold transmitter body to Spektrum under Spektrum brand and they should have developed their own and better 2.4 system to overcome shortcoming of Spektrum and to preserve JR brand image.

JR is now trying to untangle itself from the mess. I see many JR/Spektrum DSM2 owners dumpting their radios in favor of other brands after discovering the shortcoming of Spektrum. I myself was one of them. I sold my DX7.
johnkim100530

Postby johnkim100530 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:23 pm

What is the price of DSMJ and DMSS module and receiver?
Where is the source of supply?

Are they any better than Chinese made FHSS such as FrSky, Turnigy V2?
johnkim100530

Postby FrankS » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:01 pm

In the review you stated that DSMJ was offerred everywhere except USA which got DSM 2, this isn't the case in thr UK JR sell the DSM2 sets (DSX9,11 etc) but have just introduced the new 7 channel DMSS sets. Apparently DSM is not allowed in Japan hence JR develped the DSMJ for that market and have sold both systems in other markets. In the UK, at least, they have commited to continued support for both DSM2 and also DMSS, but no DMSS sets other than the 7 channel at present.

Whether this is because JR are dropping the DSM technology or because Spektrum are moving up market with their own DX8 and soon to be released DX10 systems is another matter.
FrankS

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:59 pm

Yes, DSM2 is available outside the USA but DSMJ isn't available in the USA (at least not through "official" channels).

While DSMJ was developed as a "legal" alternative to DSM2 in Japan, I think the fact that it's being sold in non-US countries (such as NZ for example) alongside DSM2 is an indication that JR perhaps appreciates that its does have benefits over DSM2.

Of course the future for JR (at least outside the USA) is in DMSS which appears to be (just like FASST, FrSky, Hitec, etc) a constantly agile multi-frequency DSSS system -- which the RC marketplace incorrectly calls FHSS.
RCModelReviews

Postby johnkim100530 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 am

JR is as confused as consumers.

Will JR start marketing DMSS in US? Marketing DMSS in US will conflict with Horizon Hobby's interest in Spektrum brand.
JR has no marketing ability of itself in US. It is solely depdent on Horizon Hobby.
johnkim100530

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes, since Horizon probably stands to make more money (as a percentage of the retail price) on a Spektrum unit or DSM2 system than on a JR (non-DSM2) one, chances are that they'll effectively block DMSS as an option for JR products -- or they'll charge a massive premium for them.

Of course in these days of online purchasing, you can always buy from overseas -- although the issue of FCC certification becomes a factor then. It would not surprise me if Horizon requires that JR do not FCC certify their DMSS system so as to effectively keep it out of the US market. It's worth noting that the JR XG7, the only radio with DMSS at the moment, has no FCC certification logo anywhere to be seen on it.
RCModelReviews

Postby F111 John » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Horizon offers a new Spektrum transmitter that will switch its output between DSM2 and DSMJ modes based on model memory. That way, Horizon won't obsolete their entire line of Bind-n-Fly models, yet can continue to compete with true FHSS systems such as the Aurora 9.
F111 John

Postby Dar » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 am

As a long time electronics geek and Ham radio operator besides an RC nut. Would not a transmitter hopping around the band cause interfearance to those not also hopping? I'm wondering if anyone checked for that. The local Hobby shops seem all of a sudden to be concerned about DMS2 interferance and selling JR hopping systems. sounds fishy to this old GI... Dar...
Dar

Postby EdwardVargas » Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:32 am

HTC is the best association of PDAs considering their quality cared for things. As this creation by HTC is extraordinary considering the way that "HTC Desire Eye E1" has all of the features that are imperative for a compact close by outside features like shocking camera, more unbelievable screen, etc, Moreover, you can pursue best resume writing services services to manage your complex tasks easily. Regardless, I should express this wireless is totally staggering and moreover with all of that features it is pocket cheerful.
EdwardVargas

Return to 2.4GHz radios/modules/receivers