Aurora9 with Frsky

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Aurora9 with Frsky

Postby Troys007 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:54 am

Hello, I watched the review/shootout on the Aurora and the Frsky module and would like to hear some thoughts on a combination of the two. I would like to use the hitec receivers for some of the telemery features and piece of mind on better planes, switching over to the Frsky module for the cheaper and smaller planes (most of my planes currently fall into this catagory and I fly them with T9x/corona 2.4). From what I have been able to piece together so far, I should be able to buy an empty XPS futaba module that I can mount my hack kit antenna and parts in and by terminating the 3 wires onto a servo connector I could simply plug onto the 3 wires I need on the back of the radio and tuck the wires into the module as I slide it into place.

I haven't purchased the A9 yet, as I wanted to make sure whatever I bought could work with the Frsky module. Does anyone forsee issues with my setup ideas, module swapping since A9 is using the seperately attached antenna, Incompatibily or letency issues since the A9 is suppose to have some sort of enhanced PPM signal and lower voltage.

Thanks for your time reading this,
Troy
Troys007

Re: Aurora9 with Frsky

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 29, 2010 4:52 am

The Spectra module for the A9 has the standard legacy connections (for use in older radios) and some extra connections for the enhanced A9 signals (including telemetry).

I haven't received my A9 yet but once I get it I'll take a look and see exactly what's on those extra pins.

If you're converting an old-style Hitec module/plastic to fit in an Aurora, you'll have to cut away some of the plastic to allow room for the extra pins in the A9 module-bay.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Troys007 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Thank you for the reply, Looking forward to what you can make from it.

Yes, I was going to use an empty case and enlarge the connector hole having a servo tail sticking out to plug into the pins. From pictures I have seen of anothers installation the 3 of the 5 pins being used are all together and the right spacing for the servo connector.

What really bothered me the most was information from XPS site on a module replacement and they mentioned having to use the exta PPM data to keep the latency low. But since others appear to be using a hack module of one brand or another I guess it can't make to much of a difference.
Troys007

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat May 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Troys007 wrote:What really bothered me the most was information from XPS site on a module replacement and they mentioned having to use the exta PPM data to keep the latency low. But since others appear to be using a hack module of one brand or another I guess it can't make to much of a difference.

Hmmm... XPS :roll:
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Return to Radios and Servos