The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby SteveM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Far more solid/less risk than 35Mhz!!!!
-
Hold on..... now trying to determine if the proposed new 24-bit DHT module is compatible with all my existing 16-bit V8FR receivers!!!
-
Will post when obtain response.
-
Rgds, Steve
SteveM

Postby 7sp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:11 pm

SteveM wrote:Hold on..... now trying to determine if the proposed new 24-bit DHT module is compatible with all my existing 16-bit V8FR receivers!!!

Wait stop the presses... Sounds to me that even if we go to the proposed new 24-bit DHT module we will have to operate in 16-bit mode to talk to the existing non-telemetry receivers. I see that as NO fix. Still the same random chance that someone else may have your same ID.

If we are just now finding out that there is an issue with the overall design and Frsky products, Then this is time we find out if Frsky is a real player in this market or just another company whose product is eventually tossed in the trash and no one will buy. The outcome rest on Frsky's ability to handle this issue and correct it. Anything less then a free fix to existing customers will pretty much kill off all there existing customer base and most future customers once the word it out.

Most of us stopped playing spin-the-bottle once we found a girl that we didn't want anyone else kissing, I feel the same way about my receiver and plane.

7SP
7sp

Postby RobC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:11 pm

It sounds to me as though early V8 modules had randomly assigned GUIDs within a certain range, later ones unique IDs, and that telemetry sets must use a different range of IDs. It's the only way I can interpret Eva's response.
RobC

Postby 7sp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:40 pm

RobC wrote:It sounds to me as though early V8 modules had randomly assigned GUIDs within a certain range, later ones unique IDs, and that telemetry sets must use a different range of IDs. It's the only way I can interpret Eva's response.

Thanks Bob, If that is the case and the new telemetry modules are generated with a new range of truly unique 16-bit id's then the problem is solved until they run out of new unique 16-bit Id's. That just leaves us with the question about what Frsky will do to support existing customers. For example I have already invested in Three V8HT modules(two still unused pending this outcome), Two V8R4 receivers and Four V8FR-HV receivers(Two still on the slow boat from China).

7SP
7sp

Postby RobC » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:00 pm

7SP - as I said, that's only my interpretation of Eva's email.
Eva: "Some former batches of V8 systems generated ID randomly, so we can not guarantee 100% that ID from later batches will have zero risk of clash with formaer batches,"
My interpretation: ie, early production used random GUID, later batches sequenced or at least unique within later production.
Eva: " and this possibility can(not?) be excluded completely. If you ask (want?) for unique GUID to work with your V8 receivers, then telemetry system is a better option."
My interpretation: telemetry must use a different range of GUID to V8s
Assumed language corrections in brackets!

Now it would be nice if FrSky could confirm that this is what was meant, and whether the telemetry are also 16bit! I guess the 65k possible GUIDs probably says more about FrSky's initial production expectations than their technical competence.

So until we get confirmation, we don't know when the tx modules changed from random to unique IDs, but generally speaking it looks as though only those with early production tx modules in their club need have any concerns. Doesn't help at fly-ins, where it would still just be a matter of cross-checking with any other FrSky users using non-telemetry sets before flying.

I still wonder whether other manufacturers use random IDs, I know that the Corona 2.4 instructions warn about holding down the tx bind button as it re-assigns the GUID(?), presumably at random.
RobC

Postby SteveM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:38 am

Look at post #2450:-
-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 8&page=164
-
Have emailed since also.....am trying to request Eva state categorically that my existing 16-bit V8FR receivers will still be compatible with the new rollout of 24-bit unique GUID telemetry modules (eg...the proposed DHT hack)
Eva has stated "V8 24 bit receivers can recognise both 16 and 24 bit TX modules by themselves and they are compatible.", but I need to know if my 16 bit receivers will be redundant if I insist on using proposed 24 bit DHT hack module, to benefit from safety of unique guid.
-
My interpretation is that all flavours of non-telemetry systems, whether 16 or 24-bit are randomly assigned.
-
If anyone can gain a clearer response from Eva (evafrsky@gmail.com or sales4tech@gmail.com), please post it here.
-
I have V8FR receivers waiting to be installed in models.....will hold fire pending some sort of clarity.
-
Sure we'll all get there in the end with some peace of mind.
-
Rgds, Steve
teve
SteveM

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:15 am

RobC wrote:7SP - as I said, that's only my interpretation of Eva's email.
---Snip---
I still wonder whether other manufacturers use random IDs, I know that the Corona 2.4 instructions warn about holding down the tx bind button as it re-assigns the GUID(?), presumably at random.

Bob,
I understand it's only your interpretation and not confirmed.. I was just running with your logic.

The last bit about the Corona would scare the heck out of me if I was a Corona user... I read that as... it could be possible for someone to stand on the bind button and randomly knock planes out of the sky....

7SP
7sp

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:36 am

SteveM wrote:Look at post #2450:-
-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 8&page=164
-
Rgds, Steve
teve

This is as clear a mud.... Sounds to me they are saying that NEW (yet to be produced) V8FR receivers will have unique 24-bit ID's but will be backwards compatible using the 16bit mode with the existing TX modules. Just what we needed backward compatibility with a TX product that may or may not (still unconfirmed) have a design flaw.

PS: Still reading the rest of the posts on Rcgroups.

I just wanted to say that from what I have read so far, much of this problem is still speculation and nothing has been confirmed. I think part of the problem is the lack of full disclosure from Frsky on accepting that there may be a problem and warning the users of the potential issues. I would have expected by now that they would have put something up on there own web site to the effect that they are investigating a report of a potential problem.

7SP.
7sp

Postby SteveM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 am

OK..... This was my latest quesion posed to Frsky a few days ago:-
-
"Eva,

Many thanks for your response, but this is probably my final question:-
-
Will the new 24 bit "DHT" module still be compatible with all my existing 16 bit "V8FR" receivers???
-
Please confirm this.
-
If the answer is "yes", then I will just additionally purchase the DHT when it becomes available.
-
Rgds, Steve"
-
Just had response, as follows:-
-
"Dear Steve,
Yes, you can. The DHT would be ready at the end of this month or early next.

Many thanks and best regards!
Eva
"

-
So, in summary, between all information in all the forums that I have seen, it appears that:
-
a) The only incompatibility that exists is between telemetry receivers and non-telemetry modules.
b) The only guarantee of genuinely unique ID, now and in future, is to use a telemetry module
c) All telemetry modules have a unique ID, whether they are 16 bit, 24 bit, irrespective of them being switched to telemetry, or V8 mode.
-
Any further thoughts, please keep this thread active.
-
Rgds, Steve
SteveM

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for the recap Steve,
I have also sent off a question to FrSky asking what if any support they are going to provide for existing users.

I just pulled this out of the V8HT manual.

1. Main features
◆ Advanced Continuous Channel Shifting Technology (ACCST is our advanced technology. It shifts hundreds of times per
second and there is
no signal conflicts and interruptions), robust frequency agility.

I clearly read that it says "NO SIGNAL CONFLICTS". If they have released more then one transmitter module with the same GUID then that is a false statement and I for one was misled by their advertised features.

7SP.
7sp

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos