Hitec Eclipse 2.4 FD Mod - with Pictures!

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

Hitec Eclipse 2.4 FD Mod - with Pictures!

Postby ScottSails » Fri May 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Well after seeing everyone move to the latest in technology and flying with more protection from interference, I jumped on the 2.4 bandwagon. I was torn between the FD and the FrySky to be honest. I decided to go with the Fly Dream for simple reasons (prior to RCModels review) of in country support and lower cost! I was able to purchase DIY kit with receiver for $39 with additional receivers for $20/21!

My experience to date (very limited flying - two 5 minute flights on the "mule") has been good. Parts worked out the box (I know it is expected but some of the stuff from China in the past was questionable). The FD DIY kit was relatively easy to install in my transmitter although I admit it took me a while to find the PPM signal. Found out the hard way that my 50 year old Oscilloscope is dead ;(.

Searched and searched to find a Hitec trainer connector pin-out and finally saw it was same as Futaba which is well documented on the web. I figured I could do no harm, installed it per the drawings and viola! it worked fine. Binding was simple (I used both 4 and 6 channel receivers). Servo motion is smooth, I see no sign of digitization of the PPM signal (not that I use high quality or digital servos yet). The tape you see in the picture is not electrical tape - it is 3M double sided tape that I used to keep the connectors together and attach the transmitter module to the case. I still need to put a strain relief on the wires coming off the trainer connector - may use tape or hot glue if I can find what my wife did with the glue gun. I also intend to put a switch on the back of the transmitter to be able to shut off power and fly 72Mhz if desired. I have bought an empty FD Futaba module to protect the connector when I am not using the 72Mhz module.

0516002304s.jpg
0516002304s.jpg (87.07 KiB) Viewed 11631 times

0516002303s.jpg
0516002303s.jpg (75.53 KiB) Viewed 11631 times

The test mule is a cheapo foam glider with a Towerpro $18 motor/speedcontroller combination. It literally will rip the wings off the plane (20+Amps on a 3 cell) so I had to reduce the throttle limit (a smaller prop would have been nice but I don't have one yet). First flight showed too much elevator control, not enough rudder - but it FLEW!
Second flight I got carried away and slightly pulled one of the wings out a little more than desired (they were taped in with packing tape).

Control with the FD was just fine. I will be coloring the wings and taking this "beast" out for a distance flight when it is calm and sunny to test it to the limits of my vision (which might not be far). Once I am more comfortable with the FD, I will start converting my other planes over but so far I am pleased with the system - it does what it is supposed to with no fanfare.

I also can say that Craig at RC-Modules.com has been awesome (I am not affiliated with him in any way but he ships fast and has for both of my orders thrown in something special).

Thanks RCModelReviews for making this site available to post and for your unbiased reviews of all this new technology!

Thanks
Scott
Attachments
0516002303s.jpg
0516002303s.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 11631 times
ScottSails

Re: Hitec Eclipse 2.4 FD Mod - with Pictures!

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri May 21, 2010 8:55 pm

You've done a good job there.

The FD is a perfectly good system, I doubt you'll have any problems unless you fly in a *really* noisy RF 2.4GHz environment, which few people do.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby ScottSails » Sat May 22, 2010 1:14 pm

Thanks Sir!

There will be virtually no interference where I fly. We are way out in the country with no likely 2.4Ghz other than other flyers.

I put in a 6 channel FD receiver in my electric Gentle Lady (2 meter) glider - it did just fine. Based upon the video I took from the plane (over 50 minutes in air) and a little Google mapping and extrapolation, I expect it was over 1200 - 1500 feet high with zero issues (failsafe did not kick in and I had full control). Will be converting over my other planes now. I wish the Hitec could handle more models in its memory ;)

Scott
ScottSails

Postby ScottSails » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:57 am

Now has been in 4 other planes including a 118" vintage 1983 craftair viking 2 glider (now electric)!
ScottSails

Postby ScottSails » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:30 pm

All planes are now upgraded to FD. My Saggita 900 is latest to gets its nose chopped and electrified. It is so nice to not have to use a winch :)

The biggest issue is i need more models in the transmitter - time for a modified 9x!
Last edited by ScottSails on Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScottSails

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:51 am

Yes, I started back into RC with an Eclipse 7 -- ran out of models so bought an Optic 6 -- ran out of models so bought a JR9XII (9303).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby ScottSails » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:11 am

I can now say that 3D foamies, 2M and 3M sailplanes (flown to limits of my vision ~1200ft est), a 50" Edge 540 (full frame, not foamie) and a 80mph electric pusher jet have been run well over 30 hours of flight time this summer. No issues at all. I do admit I am in the country, only a few other fliers around and all except 1 on 2.4. Corona, Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec and FD all played nicely (no more than 3 planes in air at a time - plus maybe one crazy helo guy - Futaba for them)

Scott
ScottSails

Postby Spacewalker » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:50 pm

I am wanting to move the aerial on the FRSKY module to the normal position on a Hitek Optic 6. I have purchased a lead. What concerns me is that the spec on the lead states that there is a 0.67dB loss. I am a rookie at electronocs. Is this significant?
Spacewalker

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks