The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Problems, experiences or just something to say about RC gear? Say it here.

Re: The Suspected Frsky GUID Issue

Postby funtana » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 pm

I too like the great price but im'e not allowing this to close my mind to a potential severe problem with the system as it is.
funtana

Postby lexmark » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:28 pm

I agree there must be a problem. I have not encountered any problems and love the system, but, a friend sent me this thread when it was an infant and at that time I had not received my module and 6 more receivers. I can't just throw it out and have just replaced the Assan system that worked well. I do watch with interest to see what comes about, and I have to say, I understand very little of the tech aspects. I hope for the best and a fellow member has just ordered the free sky for some foamies, we will have to see if they clash. I really expect not. I don't know if there is anything that can be solid and foolproof, unless we have wires to our planes. Thanks to the ones trying to get to the bottom of this potential problem.
lexmark

Postby karolh » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:03 am

I can fully appreciate all the concerns relating to this possible problem, especially for those of you that fly in high use locations and where FrSky systems could be many. For me, being the sole user of this system at my field, which I expect will change very soon as the FrSky secret is well and truly out, I fly with scant regard for such a possibility of this ever happening to me.

Even so I will continue to monitor this thread with the utmost of interest to see just what explanation or solution the folks at FrSky come up with to put all our fears at rest, if and when they have inspected the two alleged conflicting units. Until then I will continue to enjoy the new lease on life and the rock solid performance FrSky has given my trusty Futaba 8UAF.

Karol
karolh

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:09 am

It's interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, the only clash to date has been at the 2010 Kiwi ProBro where there were probably more FrSky systems in simultaneous use than anywhere else in the world.

Our club now has over half a dozen FrSky users who regularly fly together and from time to time we've had as many as 4-5 other visiting FrSky fliers also on the field. Clearly the odds are very low -- but they do exist.

However, I will continue to use the gear because it just works so damned well and reliably (potential GUID issue notwithstanding).
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:17 am

Just out of curiosity are you using the the telemetry or non-telemetry module?

I'm in a highly populated city with a dozen clubs whose members number 250 to 1500 within a 50 mile range. I also continue to use my system but with a renewed watchful eye. The real shame in all of this is that after my conversion I had no problem with proudly promoting it as fantastic system and bullet poof based on claims and positive feed back. Now the best I can honestly say when asked is "It seems to work well but use at your own risk". When asked what that means I can only say that there is some unconfirmed problems that the company is making changes to fix. Of course that always gets the same response, if the problem is unconfirmed then why are they making changes?

So far it comes down to a number game. The more people that use the system the more risk for everyone. Today's conversation with Frsky netted only "We are working on the problem" No commitment of a fix or time table.

7SP
7sp

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:16 am

We're all using the non-telemetry system in most of our models.

Remember that only another FrSky system can cause a GUID conflict with your FrSky so it doesn't matter how many other-brand radios are in use, it's just a 1 in 65K chance that another FrSky user will share your GUID.

There's nothing to stop people from turning their (non-electric) model on when they get to the field while leaving their transmitter off. If someone does have a set with the same GUID, you'll notice the control surfaces start to move as intermittently soon as they turn on. Without *your* transmitter on, your servos should never move, regardless of what level of noise or other RC systems are in use.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks, Well aware that we are talking Frsky modules. That was part of pointing out the numbers, word travels fast. Based on the good results and positive reviews from the first few of us that did the conversion, others followed by ordering modules/hack modules and are installing or asking for assistance installing Frsky modules. I assume this is why for a while there places like HobbyKing could not keep them in stock. In many cases we are talking older radios that people had shelved. Now as the weather clears they are staring to come out in use and each week the numbers grow. Meaning the odds of a conflict continue to grow.

7SP
7sp

Postby aesmith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 am

7sp wrote:The above is like saying that the Hindenburg and the Titanic were great ships... It did not stop both of them from going down due to fundamental design flaws.

Strictly the Titanic went down as a result of the decision to continue at full ahead (22kn) into a area of known ice hazard.
aesmith

Postby 7sp » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:23 am

Actually it went down because it filled with water and sank.

The Ice burg simply provided the means for the water to enter. Engineering analysis showed if the design had more and higher(just one deck if i recall correctly) water poof bulkheads then it would not have mattered if they made a bad decision and hit an ice burg or not... :)

7SP
7sp

Postby aesmith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:54 am

7sp wrote:Actually it went down because it filled with water and sank.

The Ice burg simply provided the means for the water to enter. Had the design had more and higher water poof bulkheads then it would not have mattered if they made a bad decision and hit an ice burg or not... :)

7SP

That's one way of looking at it, although it presupposes that a full speed collision with ice is an expected hazard, and that normal design practice should prevent loss of the vessel. The Titanic was no less "unsinkable" than other ships of its time. I suppose this indicates the difficulty of attributing any one cause to an accident or an incident. There will always be many "if onlys". In this case I have not seen it suggested that the master continued at full speed because he thought the vessel unsinkable.
aesmith

PreviousNext

Return to Radios and Servos