Review: FatShark FPV glasses/goggles

To discuss all things relating to flying models via remote video

Review: FatShark FPV glasses/goggles

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:53 am

Read the FatShark Video glasses/goggles review

It's easy to see why these have become the defacto standard for FPV flying.

If you have any comments to make or any experiences to share regarding the FatSharks, have your say here.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Review: FatShark FPV glasses/goggles

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:43 am

I have found the FatShark goggles good after having used them a number of times. First off I thought they were a bit fragile and have treated them with "respect" and I have been suprised that they are still in one piece. I also purchased a set of lenses that fit in front of the LCD's to counter eye focus problems but found that I havn't had to use them even though I wear glasses normally for close up work / reading. Light penetration not too bad, seems to depend on where the head band is placed and a cap, helps. I have been using 12v lead acid for goggles and rx.
Neil

Postby Neil » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Just noticed these goggles, seem to be just the "bees knees"....(includes the cap?)

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=218

Actually after reading the RC Group thread on these, probably better to stick with FatShark...
Neil

Postby RCModelReviews » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Yes, I've seen the RangeVideo units on the Net before but I have to say that I would be somewhat concerned that there's no mechanism for blocking out external light.

Without actually trying them there's no way to determine if that would be an issue but I do know that with the FatSharks, any light-leakage around the edge is "distracting" -- but fortunately the foam strip does a good job of stopping light leakage.

I'd like to review them but right now that's $275 I don't have in the review coffers. Perhaps they'll be confident enough that their product is superior to the others that they'll send in a pair I can review and give away.
RCModelReviews

Postby GIANTscale » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:17 am

I have been looking at getting the Fatshark 5.8 system for quite some time but have held off for one reason. I watch your video's Bruce and they are great, good reviews are always two sided like yours and it helps when making the right choice. Brings me to my question of how well does it perform flying behind objects? You get great range but your lucky enough to fly at an airport with huge open spaces, I would like to fly through scrubland or fly high then come in low behind shrubery etc.....fly FPV goggles how they are meant to be flown as I can always fly above with a camera and watch later. Basicaly I want to fly via goggles and not always have the model within sight......have you been able to test range with obstructions yet?
GIANTscale

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:28 am

Stay tuned, I may be testing the FoxTech goggles shortly as well.

If you want to fly around obstructions then you'll be better off with a lower frequency than 5.8GHz because, as you go up in frequency, the signal begins to act more like light -- being absorbed by most elements of the environment (such as trees and hills).

900MHz should be the best but (and this is a *BIG* "but"), there are very few places where you can use 900MHz without a HAM radio license - or at all. The same goes with 1.3GHz - it's also not without problems.

The key to long-range with 5.8GHz is getting your receiver antenna as high as possible. I obtain 2Kms of range because mine is perched atop a 3m pole. I tuned my receiver to a friend's FPV model this weekend while he flew with a set of goggles that have a built-in 5.8GHz receiver and he was losing the signal at 400-500m of range while it was still absolutely clear on my setup -- simply because my receiver was atop the pole.

I'm working on a full comparison of the various frequency and power options for FPV and that'll include their ability to cope with obstacles between the model and the receiver as well as how to best set them up.

Remember though -- your RC system is 2.4GHz so if you use a lower frequency for your video, you may simply get to watch the plane crash as you lose control - because the RC signal is blocked by something that doesn't block the video.
RCModelReviews

Postby GIANTscale » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:19 am

I look forward to the review on the FoxTech goggles. Yes I fly 2.4 and had chosen 5.8 because of that and the trouble with 900Hz. I would rather fly closer and behind objects than far away and in view........would it be fair to say if I have radio control of the model flying behind a tree line on 2.4 at 500m I should have unbroken video behind a tree line on 5.8? I would not like to fly a model 2km away un seen......too much $$$ for some bufoon to run off with lol.
GIANTscale

Postby RCModelReviews » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:03 pm

I was quite surprised when "watching" a friend's FPV flight through my receiver/goggles last weekend. He disappeared (from my perspective) behind some buildings but I still had a good picture, even though my receiver could not see his model -- and these were metal aircraft hangars.

I'll do more experimentation and see what I can determine.
RCModelReviews

Postby Asad » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Bruce, was this with 5.8GHz tx/rx?
Asad

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:40 pm

Yes, 5.8GHz.
RCModelReviews

Next