DX6 with a FrSky DIY hack ??

If you've been building electronic bits or modifying stuff you've bought then tell us all about it here. A good place to discuss the installation of 2.4GHz DIY modules too.

DX6 with a FrSky DIY hack ??

Postby S-rob » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:05 am

Hi there. I bought a DX6, without knowing its not compatible with DSM2 & the cheapy Chinese DSM2 rx's
The DX6 RX's are about $140++ in NZ (old stock I guess). Far too much as I plan to use it with 3 planes .

I was thinking about installing the FRSky DIY module, will it work with the DX6 ??, I assume the DX6 is PCM??
At least that will allow me to use cheap RX's & still keep the DX6 ( seems a nice TX, to me )
I cant find anything on the interweb re a sucessfull DX6 conversion (A few DX7's, yes)

I recently bought the Hobbyking 6ch TX (HK-T6A), it has a awefull feel to it. About as cheap & plasticy as possible. It also needs a PC for the most basic of function adjustment so will never be practical for multiple planes. I guess there was a reason it was US$24. The RC Car wheel version was actually fairly nice (HK2).
The other option was to look at using the module from the HK6 in the DX6 ???

Any advice would be appreciated. I may just get the frsky DIY module anyway, its so cheap.

Cheers
Steve
S-rob

Re: DX6 with a FrSky DIY hack ??

Postby kneedrag » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 am

As long as you can locate the PPM signal wire and get a decent current off to power the module it will work.

I have a DX6i which is different to the DX6 internally. I will do a bit of digging and see if I can borrow a DX6 to measure some voltages off.
kneedrag

Postby Flash1940 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:54 pm

I have a DX-6.....which is NOT DSM-2 and intend to do the same. As soon as my grades are posted and we are turned loose for the Christmas Holidays.....I'll dig in there & send you my findings. Should be a day this coming week. OK if you find out sooner. I already have had one DIY failure. Maybe this second effort will work. We'll see....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby kneedrag » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:41 pm

This link may help you out, http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... mpost25809

DX6 that has been FrSky'ed.
kneedrag

Postby S-rob » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:28 am

I just bought the Frsky + 3x 4ch recievers.
Updates to follow, in 2 weeks when they arrive.
S-rob

Postby S-rob » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:02 am

I'll also be changing to mode2
I found really good instructions here
https://docs.google.com/View?docid=dhjh72pb_16c5kxn6
S-rob

Postby Flash1940 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Well....Converting an old DX-6 to FrSky is not a big problem. Cut a piece of 1/16" ply about the same size as the OEM RF board and mount it on the pegs. Remove the shrink wrap from your DIY kit and secure it to the plywood plate using 4 #2 button head wood screws. The corner holes are a little tight....but they will work just fine. The push button/led assy is another problem. You may need to remove & re-install the led so that it will show through the rectangular hole in the back case of the DX-6. I had to use two pieces of 3/16" square basswood to bring the assy. up a little off the plywood board. I can get my finger down in that hole to press the bind button....and I can see the led through the hole. Advantage.....NO new holes in your transmitter....and no way for the bind button to get depressed by accident. I used the OEM antenna system since my DIY kit had a SMD RF connector that was compatible with the DX-6 antenna. My other DIY kit (I have two) does NOT have a SMD RF connector. The antenna coax is soldered directly to the board. This creates a whole set of new problems. If you have this style DIY kit....let me know & I will be glad to show you how to make an adapter....that is if you can find someone with a lathe. Good luck.... :D I have pictures if you need them....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby Flash1940 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:53 am

Here are a few pictures that may give you some ideas.
DX-6_DIY_01.jpg
DX-6_DIY_01.jpg (51.84 KiB) Viewed 23628 times
DX-6_DIY_02.jpg
DX-6_DIY_02.jpg (28.87 KiB) Viewed 23628 times

The bottom photo is looking through the rectangular hole in the back of the transmitter.
Notice how the antenna coax is soldered directly to the board in photo #2.....no RF connector !

Flash
Attachments
DX-6_DIY_04.jpg
DX-6_DIY_04.jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 23628 times
Flash1940

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:11 am

In the conversions I do, I tend to place the bind switch and LED on the top of the radio where they can be easily seen. Helps to remind you if you're in range-test mode!
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Flash1940 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:31 pm

In the conversions I do, I tend to place the bind switch and LED on the top of the radio where they can be easily seen. Helps to remind you if you're in range-test mode!

I thought of doing that....but I was trying to protect the cosmetic condition of the transmitter just in case I needed to return it to its' original state. Also.....NO protruding buttons would prevent any accidental activation. The recessed button is a bit un-handy.....but its' in a safe place.

We ordered 2 of the WiSpy devices to play with (Electronics Instruction). The software we're using is Chanalyzer Lite. That FrSky module is all over the 2.4GHz band.....just as you said. We've been looking at some of the other software Metageek offers....but the cost is a bit pricey right now. We will live with what we have for right now.

Flash
Flash1940

Next

Return to DIY Projects and Hacks