Another option for a tx battery

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Another option for a tx battery

Postby ProLine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:04 am

:D Being that many are using lipo's because of there higher ma rating and low self discharge, I had to comment.
It's my concern about the posable fire from over charging as well as killing the pack if left on over night. Not to mention the strain the added voltage puts on the regulator circuit.
Many add a diode or change out the linear regulator for a switcher type to prevent overheating.
My answer is to spend the extra money and buy a 9.6v Sanyo Eneloop battery pack. It acts like the way all packs have in the past. It can be fast charged. It never goes to high to strain the stock regulator, it won't get killed if left on and goes dead. It's Ma capacity is 2000Ma and it can hold 90% of that for a year according to Sanyo.
Will not flame up if overcharged.
The instalation only required was to unplug the old nicad/nimha pack and plug in the new one.
KISS and safe is what I was going for. So far I've found nothing negative and get long tx times.
Just my opinion,
thank you
ProLine

Re: Another option for a tx battery

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:30 am

Exactly what I wrote in the very first post in this forum:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=44#p170 :)
JMP_blackfoot

Postby Kamu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:04 am

Sure, but how much will, say, 2 tx packs of eneloops cost?
Kamu

Postby JMP_blackfoot » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:49 am

JMP_blackfoot

Postby ProLine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:03 pm

This where I bought my packs from.
http://www.batteriesamerica.com/newpage8.htm
I use this site for ham radio battery packs as well for many years. i've never had a bad pack!
I spend more money on good radio battery packs and RC radios, less on motors and planes, and lipos.
Sorry jmp-blackfoot about not seeing your post about these batteries.
ProLine
ProLine

Postby Flash1940 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Me also.....WB4-CDY....

Flash
Flash1940

Postby whiskey29 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:01 pm

I think eneloop are overrated.
I use triton and icharger,
I have not been able to get a constant charge and discharge cycle rate with the 800mah pack.
and the eneloop lite 1000mah , I used that with my rx pack, it also have the same behaviour.

I used the eneloop pack in my house, remote, clocks, kids toys, nikon flash , you name it
but i have always use the eneloop dumb charger and it seems to work best as the capacity can reach the claimed capacity.
But when assembled as a pack...
whiskey29

Postby RCModelReviews » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 pm

The best option (IMHO) is the 3-cell LiFePO4 transmitter packs that you can buy.

All the benefits of lithium (fast charge, low self-discharge, effective immunity to over-discharge) but without the drawbacks of lipo.

And they have a 9.6V nominal output too -- so don't overheat your regulators.

Of course it's crazy putting a 9.6V (or higher) battery in a 2.4GHz system since no part of the radio needs more than 5V to operate and so, unless it has a switch-mode regulator, half the battery's capacity is wasted as heat anyway.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby JensR » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:00 pm

whiskey29 wrote:I think eneloop are overrated.
[....]
but i have always use the eneloop dumb charger and it seems to work best as the capacity can reach the claimed capacity.
But when assembled as a pack...

I recommend eneloops for all sorts of applications, mainly cameras. I only use them together with a single-cell supervision charger. I "inherited" one set of four Eneloops which were almost dead when charged with the Sanyo dumb charger. They were tremendous after charging them with my charger...
As you indicate, in a battery pack, you cannot do single-cell supervision.

As to Bruce's comment. I have a small Losi transmitter for their RC crawler and it runs off four AA cells. Very nice lightweight unit. I wonder why this (or something similar) was not adopted by all manufacturers of 2.4GHz transmitters.
JensR

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries