Wanted, altitude sensor for Frsky

Telemetry is the new "big thing" in RC systems. If you've got something to say or a question to ask, do it here.

Wanted, altitude sensor for Frsky

Postby ProLine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:21 am

Many flying fields have or will have altitude limits set. Usually under 300ft in the USA.
I'm trying to display this height with the frsky module system but so far I've not been able to plug and play the parts. Has anyone done this yet? Spectrum, Hitec has hinted they may, but nothing in the near future.
Frsky may be the answer?
Any ideas on how to go about designing the sensor and dashboard?
Thank you
ProLine

Re: Wanted, altitude sensor for Frsky

Postby jet760 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:38 am

frysky are bringing out there dash board display and hub. go to there website , details are there
jet760

Postby ProLine » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Thank you for the reply. I hope they follow through with it soon. I also hope to see the promised circuits from rcmodelreviews. I sent in a donation this week that I hope will help.
ProLine

Postby Asad » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Get EagleTree's barometric altitude sensor and make a DIY circuit which accesses the data over I2C and sends it via the FrSky telemetric link.
Asad

Postby ProLine » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:08 am

Thank you for the eagle tree idea Asad, but it's the data over the 12c
I'm not up to speed on doing? The more advanced DIY circuits designers may post this info but i've not found it yet. I hope that rc modelreviews will move ahead on this as stated a while ago. The AMA has just posted some mention of the FAA looking into our model and radio control. Flying too high near any airspace will be a topic, or will be if we don't keep below 300ft. i keep saying this because alitiude reporting is the single most important data we should see right away from our plans to keep flying. I want to make this happen ASAP but lack the knowledge to design such a system with out some help.
Is there a place on the internet where I can find some circuits that will walk me through what i have to do?
Of course there are stand alone OSD systems as a last resort, but I was hoping to use the Frsky as the interface. I see that they will be making all this soon, but so far my emails have gone unanswered requesting how I can pre order ther hub, sensors, and dashboard. It may be the holiday that's holding up the reply? I'm so close!
Great forum, thanks for any and all help.
I just watched the DSMX video and agree that I read it here first on why my DSM2 planes (2) crashed with no warning. They've been working on this for a year, all the while we just bought more and more DSM2 and had unexplained loss of control. I'll have my DX7 ugraded for sure first chance.
Thanks
Proline
ProLine

Postby Asad » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:35 am

The I2C protocol details (as pertaining to the barometric sensor) are available on the RCG ET section. It's easy enough to do if you have any background at all with I2C use previously. Any of the I2C/SPI and UART compatible PIC controllers should work well.
Asad

Postby kneedrag » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:52 am

Last I chatted to FrSky just before they went on leave they were estimating end of Feb beginning of March that us dealers would be able to start ordering the hub. About 1-2 weeks post ordering I usually get the stock here in NZ.

Here are the details on it : http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowNews.asp?id=57
kneedrag

Postby ProLine » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:41 pm

I want to buy the hub and sensers asap! Who would I preorder or order from that will send it to the us?
HK is the only source I've dealt with. Any rumors about a Frsky transmitter or some other brand that will display all new hubs data on a built in LCD? That would sure give the big rc companies a challenge, not to mention a little lower price competition? They have no current plans to offer all the sensor options, up until now I'm thinking!
Any talk on prices for the hub dashboard and senser options?
ProLine
ProLine

Postby kneedrag » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 am

As soon as I have pricing I usually start accepting pre-orders however without the dealer price being released I can't really do that. ;-)

There is a distributor in the states according to the FrSky website,

USA Rangevideo http://www.rangevideo.com 404 421 2574

If you don't come right let me know and I can arrange that you get one via us once they are available that is.

On the transmitter side of things I can't say much but you are on the right path... However you may be interested in this thread where someone is doing exactly that with a Turnigy 9x. ;-)

http://www.parkflyers.org.nz/modules/ne ... mpost32524
kneedrag

Postby ProLine » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:10 pm

Keep the links coming, I'm trying to educate myself and they're great.
I have a mocropic programming kit and need a project to use it on.
I've programmed a lot of EPROMs for ham radio use, but never anything at this level.
Any micropic and frsky how to do it sites would be perfect!
I hope there will be a building block transmitter that will accept the frsky, corona, or any other newer module/ telemetry module system and be higher end sticks soon.
Hint hint!
Please tell me how to contact you or your store for frsky items. I'll contact range video as well to see how current they are on frsky electronics.
ProLine
Last edited by ProLine on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProLine

Next

Return to Telemetry