Coopers Oil (AKA SPL Avenger)

Glow/Nitro and gas engines, propellers, fuel and other stuff associated with making lots of noise and thrust.

Coopers Oil (AKA SPL Avenger)

Postby CustomPC » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:46 pm

Hi Bruce,

In the past you've been an advocate for the Cooper's branded oils. This oil is unique because it is Ester based and not glycol based like Cruel Power or Klutz.

Coopers is no longer in the fuel business but he has announced that the oil they used was this one http://www.splube.com/products/avenger.htm

Anyways, i found a local fuel blender here in Oz that uses the oil and mainly caters for RC cars but was more than happy to mix up a custom batch for me (15% Nitro, 16% SPL and 2% Castor).

My question to you is do you find that this oil smokes less and has much more slime covering the model at the end of the day?

My theory is that the SPL oil doesn't burn like normal synth oils so it passes through the engine. It's relatively easy to clean up with a bit of Windex or Methylated Spirits and doesn't seam to congeal or go buttery in cold weather like castor does.

I'm very happy with the performance of the oil. I read somewhere that you were using a blend with as little as 12%. How are your engines fairing over time on this blend.
I'm thinking i might get my next batch made up with 13% SPL and 2% castor.
CustomPC

Re: Coopers Oil (AKA SPL Avenger)

Postby RCModelReviews » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I was using Coopers at 12% (with 2% castor for rust-prevention) for several years and had nothing but excellent results.

Note that the Coopers oil doesn't have any ant-corrosion additives in it so you need to either use some castor or apply some ARO at the end of a flying session if you're using any nitro in the fuel.

There isn't a cost-effective source of the oil any more so I've switched to Aerosave which costs me a few hundred RPMs but on the plus side it does have inbuilt corrosion inhibitors.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Beej » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:45 am

Hi Bruce,

I contacted Fuchs here in OZ and they do not stock Aerosave. Did you have to make special request to get it in NZ? I'm interested in trying some diester-based oils in my 2 & 4 stroke engines but it looks as though the one I may be able to get here is motul micro 2T. Any advice appreciated (I know you don't want to be seen to"endorse" anything but perhaps advice is OK?!). Enjoying the YouTube channels and the whole RC Model Reviews experience!

Best

Beej
Beej

Postby CustomPC » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:30 am

In Aus, you can contact Massive Mods in Sydney who use the SPL Avenger oil, which is the same oil that Coopers used.

It is an Ester based synthetic.
CustomPC

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:14 am

I've heard from people in Europe who've had good results with the Motul oil -- but it's pretty pricey.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby Beej » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 am

Thanks!
Beej
Beej

Return to IC Engines