how to charge AA NiMH - accucel 6

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

how to charge AA NiMH - accucel 6

Postby sheko_2000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

hello,
i got 8 AA NiMH LSDs from hobby king, as well as ACCUCEL 6 charger
i am using these batteries to power my Tx TGY 9X

i set my charger to the following
12 v 2200 mah current 600 mah

one day i lost my Tx module for unknown reasons after changing to the LSDs, i am not sure if there is a relation or not
anyway
my question is..
is the above setup is correct or not ?
if not please suggest me the correct one

PS: i charge the 8 cells all together
sheko_2000

Re: how to charge AA NiMH - accucel 6

Postby RCModelReviews » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:47 pm

The higher the capacity of an NiMH cell, the more fragile they become in respect to overcharging but I would think that 600mA was a "safe" charge rate for those cells.

What is the 12V setting though?

Was your charger set to the NIMH setting? On most 4-button chargers that simply means you can set the battery type (NiMH) and the charge-current (0.6A). Mine has no setting for voltage.

Are you saying that your transmitter module has died?

If so, which module are you using? Is it the standard Turnigy module(V1 or V2)?

Sometimes stuff just breaks but it's worth noting that these radios only use 5V internally so a fully charged 8-cell NiMH pack (which can be as much as 12V when hot off the charger) puts a strain on the voltage regulators that have to effectively get rid of more than 50% of that voltage -- often in the form of heat.

That's why I only use 2-cell lithium-Ion batteries in my TGY9X radios -- they run much cooler and longer.

However, lots of other folks are using the TGY9X with 8-cell NiMH packs and have no problems so you might have just been unluckly.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby sheko_2000 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:56 pm

hello,
- voltage settings, i choosed the end voltage it to be 12 volts..
- regarding the charger, yes it was configured on NiMH mode
- i lost my modle because of the Tx/Rx very short range then i notcied that the range dont go more than 10 m !!
so i replaced the module with Frsky mdule, but i didn't test it till now till i make sure that batteries are ok

my Tx module is the standard V2
sheko_2000

Postby disco stu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:10 am

I didn't think you could set the end voltage on the accucell 6. Anyway, I charge at that rate or higher with those batteries pretty often without an issue, but do slower charges ever so often just to give them a proper good charge.

Have you got a temp sensor for your accucell 6? Can get them from hobbyking for a few $$. Set the temp 5 deg or so above ambient and will cut off the charge at better time than the delta peak function
disco stu

Postby aesmith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

I agree, I have the Accucel 6 and there's no end voltage setting for NiMH charging, you don't set mAh either except as an over-ride safety cut-off. Maybe the wrong program was selected? The only tuning parameter is the delta peak detection threshold.
aesmith

Postby aesmith » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:40 pm

Just looked at the Accucel manual and the settings for NiMH Voltage and Capacity are just for display purposes when you use the Save Data and Load Data options, they are intended to remind you what battery the other settings are intended for. They don't affect the charger operation.
aesmith

Postby sheko_2000 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:50 pm

i will check the charger again today
as far as i remember that i choose NiMH then choose voltage and set it to 12 volts, 2200 ma

and it gives me full msg when reaches 12 volts
sheko_2000

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries