Average current draw from 2.4 transmitter

Nicad, NiMH, Lithium, A123? If it's transmitter or receiver batteries you want to talk about, do it in this forum.

Average current draw from 2.4 transmitter

Postby S-rob » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi there. whats the average (ball park) current draw for a 2.4Ghz transmitter ??
both, say 6v Spektrum & 12v Turnigy/generic

I want to setup a bench test of my NimH's AA's using my chargers discharge function (which can display maH discharged )
I have a few different AA's I want to test, after the dismal actual run-time of my 2800's.
Im back to using Alkalines, as various nimh just dont last in my 6v TX .

Cheers
S-rob

Re: Average current draw from 2.4 transmitter

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:55 pm

The current-draw of a transmitter depends on several things but mainly, the type of regulators it uses.

Some systems use linear regulators, some use switch-mode regulators.

The former will draw more current than the latter -- sometimes a lot more.

A good example are the current DSSS modules from Corona. They have a linear regulator so they have quite a high current draw. By comparison, the FrSky modules have a switch-mode regulator so they draw less than half the current.

The same goes with the transmitters themselves -- those with switch-mode regulators will draw less than those with linear ones.

I haven't done a head-to-head comparison but I do know that the days when you only got 60-90 minutes from your transmitter from a full charge are gone. Most 2.4GHz systems will give many hours of flying (especially if they have a lithium pack). I charge my own 9X only once a month at most -- and I tend to fly a lot when I can.

My JR 9XII (9303) now gets twice the time per charge since I replaced the JR 72MHz synth module with a FrSky 2.4Ghz module. That's partly because the 2.4GHz systems don't need so much power (100mW versus over 500mW) and partly because the FrSky has a switch-mode regulator.

A good way to tell if *your* 2.4GHz system has a switched or linear regulator is to feel the module or the back of the case. If it's getting warm after extended use then it's probably got a linear regulator. Switch-mode regulators should run cool because they're not wasting power in the way the linear ones do.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Re: Average current draw from 2.4 transmitter

Postby Kamu » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:39 am

Is switching linear to switch mode a difficult task?
Perhaps a potential video to add to your ambitious todo list :)...
Kamu

Return to Receiver/transmitter Batteries