Control Throws Hi/Lo % ??

Here's an area where you can ask any kind of question about RC models and find a whole lot of useful information to help you get started.

Control Throws Hi/Lo % ??

Postby jomarx » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Since I basically requested for this section, let me start:

I'ved seen in some magazines, sites, etc that there are recommended control throws for a specific plane to work properly. Its usually indicated in inches... What does it mean??
jomarx

Re: Control Throws Hi/Lo % ??

Postby RCModelReviews » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:17 pm

They are talking about how much the surface moves up/down at the very trailing edge.

So if they say "elevator throw 1/2 inch up/down" then if you measure how far the very back edge of the elevator moves from the neutral position when you give full up or full down, that measurement should be 1/2 an inch.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:49 am

I see. So surface movement up/down should also be the same? Or can be different on some models?

And if I'm not mistaken, the max movement of a control surface can be changed in the TX right (for computerized ones)? So how about the simple ones?
jomarx

Postby RCModelReviews » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:53 am

The manual will usually describe the throws as plus or minus so many inches or mm. So, plus or minus 10mm would mean 10mm up and 10mm down for a total throw of 20mm.

Yes, most transmitters have the ability to change the end-points or throw on a channel, it's called EPA (end-point adjust) or ATV (adjust TraVel).

Be aware that if you simply use the transmitter to reduce the throws then you will also be reducing the resolution of your RC system -- it's much better to get the throws "pretty close" by moving the pushrod linkage in or out on the (elevator, rudder, aileron) control horn and then use the EPA/ATV to "fine tune" the throws.

Also, some radios allow you to set dual rates so you can choose to have less throw when you're learning or flying around at full throttle and then throw a switch to get more throw for aerobatics or landing.
RCModelReviews.com, just the facts.
RCModelReviews

Postby jomarx » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:55 am

I see! Makes perfect sense. Thanks a lot!
jomarx

Postby Mr Ed » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:53 pm

Some transmitters allow dual or triple rates, depending on the switch used, but the older non-computer radios and the cheaper ones don't allow you to adjust this in the transmitter and you can't get duel rates in them. The only adjustment you have is at the control surface by adjusting the control linkage itself. About the only thing you get with the simple transmitter is reverse servo travel.

Ed
Mr Ed

Postby Jhon-jhon » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:41 pm

Exemple:
Attachments
control throws.JPG
control throws.JPG (21.76 KiB) Viewed 18077 times
Jhon-jhon

Return to For Beginners (if you're just getting started in RC)